Arc Welder help please?

Hi Just been given an arc welder in good working condition I tried it out at home in my shed plugged into an extension lead from the house but it keeps tripping the electric. What has gone wrong?

CJ Suffolk

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Hi Colin;

Can you let me know what type of welder it is and what is the maximum output.

I have a couple of Oxford that can trip the electric out, these can be wired for 240 or 415.

Apart from using a multimeter to check for shorts to earth then any information would be of help.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Anything over about 100 amps output will trip out the electric. Depends on length of extension, and if you get the rod stuck to the job - it's usually a good idea to unclip it immediately from the electrode holder as soon as it sticks, because they usually blow the fuses within 3 or 4 seconds.

I ended up running a 45 amp supply to my shed so I didn't blow the fuses with my 200A stick welder.

-- BigEgg

Reply to
bigegg

Is it tripping the circuit breaker, or an RCD unit covering the circuit? (Does the trip which goes have a test button on it?)

Reply to
Gary Cavie

Thanks everyone. Tried it out in the workshop at work & it is running ok. The Extension Lead seems to have been the trouble. CJ

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

OH go on! what model welder do you have then???

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson