Bending brass rod

I want to bend a 5/16" diameter brass rod into a swan-neck shape, with the tightest radius of about 1".

Any suggestion how to make brass malleable enough to do this without breaking would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

John H

Reply to
John H

Heat.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

In article , John H writes

John,

To amplify Neil's accurate but somewhat terse reply, copper and most of its alloys are easily annealed (softened) by heating. Unlike steel, it is OK to dunk in water to cool as this does not harden it. However, it easily work-hardens again as you bend it, so you may have to repeat several times. This page has some useful guidance:

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

But beware that some brass alloys can be 'hot short' in other words very little tensile strength when hot, and may give disappointing results

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

Hi Andrew,

Does that mean they are still weak when cooled? I don't think anyone was suggesting it should be bent while still hot.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

No, the heating will anneal it to a softer condition, and it will work harden as it is bent. I was just saying that some brasses are weak when hot.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If it is possible it is better to use a bronze rather than brass.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood