Bending brass rod

I want to bend a 5/16" diameter brass rod into a swan-neck shape, with the tightest radius of about 1".
Any suggestion how to make brass malleable enough to do this without breaking would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
John H
Reply to
John H
Heat.
Reply to
Neil Ellwood
In article , John H writes
John,
To amplify Neil's accurate but somewhat terse reply, copper and most of its alloys are easily annealed (softened) by heating. Unlike steel, it is OK to dunk in water to cool as this does not harden it. However, it easily work-hardens again as you bend it, so you may have to repeat several times. This page has some useful guidance:

David
Reply to
David Littlewood
But beware that some brass alloys can be 'hot short' in other words very little tensile strength when hot, and may give disappointing results
Andrew
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
In article , Andrew Mawson writes
Hi Andrew,
Does that mean they are still weak when cooled? I don't think anyone was suggesting it should be bent while still hot.
David
Reply to
David Littlewood
No, the heating will anneal it to a softer condition, and it will work harden as it is bent. I was just saying that some brasses are weak when hot.
Andrew
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
If it is possible it is better to use a bronze rather than brass.
Reply to
Neil Ellwood