Bending brass rod

I want to bend a 5/16" diameter brass rod into a swan-neck shape, with the tightest radius of about 1".
Any suggestion how to make brass malleable enough to do this without breaking would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
John H
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:38:16 -0800, John H wrote:

Heat.
--
Neil
Reverse ?a? and ?r?

John,
To amplify Neil's accurate but somewhat terse reply, copper and most of its alloys are easily annealed (softened) by heating. Unlike steel, it is OK to dunk in water to cool as this does not harden it. However, it easily work-hardens again as you bend it, so you may have to repeat several times. This page has some useful guidance:
http://steamshed.com/annealing%20process.html
David
--
David Littlewood

"David Littlewood" wrote in message writes

But beware that some brass alloys can be 'hot short' in other words very little tensile strength when hot, and may give disappointing results
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Does that mean they are still weak when cooled? I don't think anyone was suggesting it should be bent while still hot.
David
--
David Littlewood

"David Littlewood" wrote in message writes

No, the heating will anneal it to a softer condition, and it will work harden as it is bent. I was just saying that some brasses are weak when hot.
Andrew
On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:19:03 +0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

If it is possible it is better to use a bronze rather than brass.
--
Neil
Reverse ?a? and ?r?