Best milling machine for under =?iso-8859-1?Q?=A31000?=

I know, I know - been asked a million times before, I'm sure.
I have a basic application / requirement in mind that could be solved by
a 200 pillar drill.
But I would like to start designing my own tools (precision, and related to working with internal components of hard drives) so a learning curve is likely and something I'm looking forward to.
As such, flexibility, ability and adaptability are prerequisites for the machine I want.
The best I have been able to come up with so far is the Sieg X3.
Am I barking up the wrong tree, or are there way better machines around?
Bear in mind this is more experimental than anything else, so I am loath to spend over 1000.
I also don't want a 20-year old mill requiring repair / refurbishment / ongoing excessive maintenance etc.
I will be working most likely with brass and aluminium; I intend to purchase the metal in part-fabricated form, so that I can finish it off with the precision requirements - so heavy duty is not necessary.
Thanks for any help / assistance / pointers / links.
Duncan

Just a possible pointer, but for the size of work you describe, maybe this USA company's products are appropriate?: www.sherline.com Exchange rates are pretty favourable now, too.
Could be worth a visit anyway - very informative website.
Jordan
Jordan wrote:

Or buy the taig here in the UK at well under 1000 www.peatol.co.uk The on line price list is a little out of date, but exchange rate and inflation have gone in opposite directions ;)
And if you get around to wanting to convert it to CNC then we can help.
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
MikeH_QB wrote:

Thanks, Mike
But I would like to explore the option of creating a prototype of tool that can then be "polished off" by a professional company.
I know about the tolerances and levels of precision regarding tools for hard drives - I work with the darn things 7 days a week!
Duncan
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
rsss wrote:

Hey RSSS
Try a bit harder, and maybe we can talk him out of doing real model engineering altogether.
Jordan
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 05:08:15 -0800 (PST), ravensworth2674

Which still includes Canada and the United States given that they have proved they can't govern themselves. Lets face it anyone who can't get 3 wire across America for 3 phase and still run on 110 volt from 73.333333 U2 battery cells, can never have put a man on the moon

Can also be spelt WRECK.

No argument.

So Myfords being an industrial concern should shut up shop and not cater for the hobbyist Oh sorry they already have ....

Whatever.
Who the fuck's Aggie ??????????

So by default not Myford.

Mine has slabs, factory made.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 06:09:58 -0800 (PST), ravensworth2674
Some kind of balls, probably... <G>
Regards, Tony
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:42:31 -0800 (PST), ravensworth2674

Recent change of meds Norm? ....<G>
Peter
ravensworth2674 wrote:

So you've had 23 years to attend remedial writing classes? Succinctness and clarity of expression is not uniquely associated with the Bismarck.
Tom