bottom drops out of scrap market

Dudley Simons wrote:

At least phone lines, church roofs, and manhole covers may have a better chance of surviving the tea-leafs now.
BugBear
Hi All
I took about 300kg of what is locally referred to as light iron in this morning - covers just about anything that has meetal on it - office chairs, printers, keyboards, filing cabinets, cars etc. The load I took in was the stuff that is left over having stripped all the easily accessable non ferrous material and as such is little more than rubbish to me.
I didn't expect to get much for it a couple of quid for the diesel was all I hoped for. There was a notice up in the office window informing customers that ferrous scrap would no longer be paid for - ie they will take it but won't be paying for it.
Non ferrous prices this morning (they were still using Friday afternoons prices - hadn't received the Monday morning list)
Copper 1250 Brass 480 Ali 100 S/S 300 Lead 200
They reckoned that every load leaving the yard to go to their recycling facility was still losing them money.
I suspect that things are going to get worse. Get ready to see the reappearance of dead cars in laybys etc :o(
Dudley