boxford 330tr lathe

boxford 330tr are these units reguarded as a good lathe

just wondering if this machine is any good as i have the option to buy one

cheers for any advice

Reply to
mike.mcdermid

In message , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

There is plenty of Boxford information at

I took a quick cursory look but did not see that model number.

Reply to
Mike H

mike its the current manual machine they make on their website

the latest boxford one i can see on lathes .co.uk is the varyspeed which is what i was considering buying before i found the 330

i just wondered if it was a cheap import or a quality machine as its only a few years old

thanks mike

Reply to
mike.mcdermid

Mike, I hesitate to give an opinion on this (sorry you will need to see one of the other topics to understand that) but in general Boxfords are excellent lathes that are very well regarded. I suppose the question would be what will you use it for? I believe that this is one of the newer/current models that sell mainly into the education market, of course that doesn't make it a better or worse lathe just that it might be a bit simpler in specification than a full blown production machine. If there is such a thing with manual lathes these days. The level of equipment that it comes with together with the price of course is also an important factor. Bear in mind these are listed new at =A310K

- =A316K depending on bed length and specification. I've seen a couple (they don't seem that common in the secondhand market) in dealers sheds starting at the, I think =A32-3K mark, so they vary a good deal in price and condition.

If I was going to use one in my little workshop (and it is a fair size for hobby use) I would make sure that it can be converted to run on single phase. It's not always straightforward to do on modern machines and while you can always buy a converter it adds a fair amount to your investment. If you intend using it commercially then I'm sorry but it's not my field and can't really comment on its' suitability. If it lives up to Boxfords previous machines it will be a simply engineered, solid, reliable and accurate machine. If it is not well equipped, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, steadies etc then check the prices of these and if they (chucks anyway) have a standard industrial fitting. If not and you have to go to Boxford they will be expensive.

Mike sorry this is not particularly useful but hopefully we can stimulate some more knowledgeable comment.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Thanks jon tom

it is 3 phase long bed model but does come with an inverter

collet chuck 4 jaw 3 jaw (spare) and a new box of spanners the front placard says 330 tr industrial however im not going to believe its in the same league as a good toolroom lathe

in effect i think its done 100 hours of school work at most (it looks new) which lead me to ask if it was worth buying or not on that basis that it was better than the old style boxfords

thanks for your input though

regards

mike

j> > boxford 330tr are these units reguarded as a good lathe

Reply to
mike.mcdermid

PS I only intend to do bits and bobs with it

snipped-for-privacy@bt> Thanks jon tom

Reply to
mike.mcdermid

So the consenus is the machine is nice. Whether it's a good buy depends upon price - it could be an expensive machine for "bits and bobs".

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping
925 quid thay want for it

worth that money? or should i ask em to take less

Charles P> On 7 Jul 2006 01:56:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote: >

Reply to
mike.mcdermid

Pay them and get it loaded fast, before they look into what it's worth. But if you are feeling the need to bargain, at least go in with the full ask in cash just in case.

That sounds a bargain to me.

I would only feel slightly guilty if it were my find, but would console myself with the thought that I paid them what they asked, and that they were happy with that. :-)

If you want a reference point, look up the current used prices of the chucks, and see if the value of those approaches the cost.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Wise words on all counts

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

OK GUYS ITS WORTHI

will take your advice trevor

Charles P> >

Reply to
mike.mcdermid

Check the leadscrew and make sure it's not bodged.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Behave yourself John ;-)

Archie

Reply to
Archie

Sorry Mike had to pick up my daughter who has been in Cuba relaxing after a "hard years" work at university!! and it cost me more than your lathe is going to cost you!!

If I had such an opportunity I wouldn't hesitate to put my hand in my pocket and steal it off them. When you do the deal try and get as many bits and pieces that you can with it, to be honest I would probably look to get more bits than I would try to knock a few pounds off. It will be a expensive machine to buy any accessories for but hey if you are only doing bits and bobs you can wait your time until suitable bits are available at the right price.

Looks to me that you have been in the right place at the right time, well done.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk