Bridgeport table feed motors

A mate of mine has asked me to take a look at a manual bridgeport mill (I don't know which model) because neither the X or Y feed motors seem
to be working. I'm guessing that it is unlikely that both motors will have packed up and it is possibly a supply problem. Spindle motor runs and the DRO fires up Main machine is 3 phase but what to the variable speed feed motors run off?? DC perhaps in order to get the speed control.
I just need a few clues before I turn up and look a complete ar$e as he is bound to be hanging round me expecting the miracle solution in minutes!!
TIA
Bob

I think the motors are 110v dc and are controlled by a box inside the main power cabinet. I am sure others on the group will be able to elaborate on this, Bob
Emimec wrote:

The only DC speed/direction control I know of is the Leonard-Ward system as used on old 40mm Ack-Ack guns. It's old hat nowadays, probably replaced by complex electronic devices, there you go!!dohh :-( Don

If you get really lucky, it's just a circuit breaker. There are a number[1] inside the Cabinet Of Doom. I always found that one had tripped and resetting all of them (just to be on safe side... :^)) restored full function on mine. Note that they didn't always *look* tripped, but a good solid prodding seemed to do the trick.
My kind of fault-finding. Un-scientific, easy, and can be accomplished with a hammer...
Good luck!
[1] "One, two, three, many..."
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are an X3 mill, a
Nigel Eaton wrote:

Thanks Nigel,
I has just been moved so that could have dislodged a breaker. I'll give everything a good wiggle. It would be nice to have X axis feed as he want me to do a job for him using the mill. A total of 5m run of putting a 45 degree chamfer 15mm deep on 20mm steel plate. Lots of winding by hand otherwise.
Bob