calling Corona / Pollard Pillar Drill owners

Hello folks ,

I'm interested in the renovation of machine tools and considering Pollard drill as my next project. I'd like to get a sounding of an experiences good/bad from owners. It's characteristic adjustable quil support clamp reminds me of old shaft driven machines somehow - no ba thing :) and the table looks like it's on a chain gizmo . So are the reliable? Any innovative features over a similar pedestal drill? What' the gen on Corona drills by Frederick Pollard of Leicester?

Cheers,

NM

-- NewModelArm

----------------------------------------------------------------------- NewModelArmy's Profile:

this thread:

NewModelArmy

The gen is they were not bad drills but F pollard is no more.

Reply to
mark

I have 2 of these, good machines, mine came from a school and were used in the woodworking dept. Main moan is the quill is only MT1, speeds could be higher and the spider is to small to get any real leverage, but being previously used for wood was probably ok.Yes, the table is on a chain, with a weight to assist in the balance when rising/dropping said table. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

I have one and like it. The quill's a bit small in diameter for heavy work, which is a bit of a shame as the rest of the machine is pretty robust. Nicely arranged angular contact brgs for the quill are also a nice feature. There is a counter weight for the table inside the column which is connected by a bicycle type chain as you say.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Thanks Bob, have you ever dismantled one? If so I'd Appreciate any tips

spanners needed etc. I'm guessing it splits conveniently halfway up th column from the pictures I have. Are yours fitted with a lamp, not sur if they all had them. Cheers,

NM

-- NewModelArm

----------------------------------------------------------------------- NewModelArmy's Profile:

this thread:

NewModelArmy

I never took mine apart. I was once tempted to removed the poly V belt pulley to attempt to increase the speed, but as it turned out, both drills became dedicated to an 8mm tapping and drilling operation, so speed was ok. I am tempted to make bigger diameter, and longer handles for the quill spider. Extra downward pressure is needed for the 8mm drilling operation. Both of mine were fitted with Lo-Vo lights. One doesnt work properly I hasten to add. I replaced the arms on both machines lights with the more modern style. They bolted straight onto the tramsformer already on the machine, so only a quick rewire was needed. It appears that the "Tangs" on the transformer cover do not engage properly with the backplate, so intermittent operation of the light is as a result. The drills are both quiet in operation, and accurate enough for me. Bob>

Reply to
Emimec

Bah! Outbid :( Oh well c'est la vie

-- NewModelArm

this thread:

NewModelArmy

Whereabouts are you based NMA? I've got a corona drill that I've been meaning to restore for years. I might be persuaded to part with it. It is seriously heavy though and my back is not too good so you will need some friends! Im just west of Southampton on edge of the new forest.

Let me know bobdotminchinatntlworlddotcom.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin