CO2 cylinder wall thickness ?

Anyone ever sliced a steel pub sized CO2 cylinder and can remember the approx wall thickness? I'm planning to use Johns cunning air over oil solution for my pneumatic tilting mechanism for the induction furnace and use a trunkated CO2 cylinder as the oil reservoir. For my volume calculations I've been working on 1/8" but confirmation would be handy before I destroy it. The plan is to slice off an appropriate length, weld a 3/8" plate on the end and some mouting brackets.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I have cut them up in the past for tubing, can't remember exactly but I think you'll find they're at least 8mm. I'll check later on just in case there are some offcuts hanging around.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Andrew Surely a clever lad like you can estimate it from the dimensions? No offcuts, but the one I have here has a tare weight of 32lbs, it's very roughly 4.5" dia x 27" long (less valve).

Just picking it up, and looking at the size, maybe it'll be nearer to mm than 8mm.

If you're desperate not to cut yours up, I'll drill a hole in mine tomorrow.

Tim

Tim Leech

My last post should have read 'nearer to 6mm than 8mm'

Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

I'll have at it with a cutting disk tommorow - 6mm is a good thickness. Even I can do a good full penetration weld in 6mm with a good safety margin

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew, out of interest just how thick was the cylinder?

Michael

Reply to
Michael

message

Just a tad under 5mm and seems to be ordinary mild steel

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ah ok,