De-humidifier

Has anyone thought of a good old-fashioned light bulb?

Extremely cheap to buy. Relatively cheap to run. Inordinately reliable. Instant indication of failure. Gives light as well!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

Nice and simple, Mike... but if any oil got on the bulb you'd be greeted by a workshop full of of smoke next time you went in :)

Thanks to those that emailed the MEW plans; it was rated ~70 watts, limited with an electronic thermostat set to keep the lathe over 15degC.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Griffin

Guy Griffin explained .......

......... but no rust Guy. ;)

Actually, I suppose it does not have to be where oil could drip onto it! Probably works best if all draughts are well sealed up; which also would prevent further damp air entering.

The thing NOT to do is to leave the 1kw fan blower on all night as I did recently. The Myford was well warmed through by morning - quite warm to the touch. Not a lot of moisture about though!!!!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

Hi,

Sorry to stick my nose in, but could someone send me those MEW plans too?

Thanks a bunch

P.S. my real email is: dave(at)sinfin(dot)org(dot)uk

Reply to
Dave

Guy wrote on 12/01/2004 :-

It is the common way to protect electrical control panels which are used in damp conditions. You can buy large heatsink mounted resistors in suitable ratings. Another way would be to use some of that heated tape intended for keeping out door water pipes from freezing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On 13/01/2004 snipped-for-privacy@wurzel.demon.co.uk opined:-

You can also buy tubular heaters intended for placing in the bottom of shop windows. These are a metal tube on brackets about 2" diameter, 2' to 5' in length. Several of these, perhaps wired in series to reduce the heat output would work well.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I don't know the provenance of the table, but some figures I noted decades ago for absolute humidities are:

deg C g/m^3

30 30.4 25 23.0 20 17.3 15 12.8 10 9.3

HTH

Reply to
RVMJ 99g

So what about the figures for 0 deg C

-5 deg C

-10 deg C etc ????

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hello all, Haven't noticed anyone mention plant propagating heating element. Waterproof easily wound round machines etc low wattage. cheers GeoffH Norfolk - UK

Reply to
GeoffH

There's a table at that shows these and the dew points; it agrees with William's numbers.

Guy

Reply to
Guy

The message from "Chris" contains these words:

Chris, From a quick look at an old paper, by Goff and Gratch,and if I'm reading it correctly the figures for

32 deg F is 3.8 g/kg of dry air 23 deg F is 2.9 g/kg of dry air 14 deg F is 1.6 g/kg of dry air If you really need the information I could do a bit more digging, but my references are at least 10 years out of date and I'm sure there will be better information, even on the web.
Reply to
William J Lamond

: Chris, : From a quick look at an old paper, by Goff and Gratch,and if I'm reading : it correctly the figures for : 32 deg F is 3.8 g/kg of dry air : 23 deg F is 2.9 g/kg of dry air : 14 deg F is 1.6 g/kg of dry air : If you really need the information I could do a bit more digging, but my : references are at least 10 years out of date and I'm sure there will be : better information, even on the web. : -- : Bill Lamond, : Edinburgh

Thanks but really it was just idle curiosity as I had always imagined that water vapour would precipitate at 0 deg C. But it is pretty dry at 0 deg c

0.38% w/w I suppose. ChrisR
Reply to
Chris

[snip]> (the other) Marten

I have a small room-sealed wall gas heater I bought s/h from an ad in a local paper. It runs continuously in the cold months and keeps the chill off the workshop (wooden and lined with insulation board) and a small dehumidifier is running at about half-setting, on a timer that puts it on three times a day for about an hour or so. I disposed of its tank, and put in the drain attachment, with a tube going straight through the wooden workshop floor to the ground (9") below. Its never freezed up, and the machine tools never get rust any more. The heater doesn't keep things warm enough for me in the really frosty weather, so I run a fan heater just for a short time. Once the mill or the lathe have been running, and the lights(!) for a while, its plenty warm enough!

The dehumidifier also copes very well with the moisture put out by my own breathing . Dave.

Reply to
speedy2

Its called snow!

Dave.