ER collet question

That's ER, not er...

Anyway, here's a simple one. If I have a 6mm end mill, which collet is best to use, the 7-6mm or 6-5mm?

Thanks.

John

Reply to
John Montrose

I just play it by ear: if it'll fit without forcing into the 6mm, use that. If not...

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

You mean play it by ER??

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Either would be fine, but the 6-7 has the advantage of also being able to be used for 1/4" as well. This works for most ER collets, for example 12-13 could be used for 12mm or 1/2". It means you can have metric & imperial for the price of one set of collets.

Regards

Kev>That's ER, not er...

Reply to
Kevin Steele

FWIW my experience of ER32 collets is that they will not hold an end mill of their minimum size. e.g. a 6-7 will not hold a 6. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Perhaps there is something wrong with your collet chuck stopping it closing right up. I've never experienced this problem, and have used many ER collets at home and work.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Perhaps so which is partly why I posted. However the result is consistent across 11 collets from 3 makers and in each case the slits in the collet are fully closed. Am I alone in this ?? regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Just a thought,but are you locating the collet in the nut properl

before inserting it in the holder.The collet needs to hook into tha half moon part in the nut.

You probably already knew that.

I initially put the collet in the holder and then put the nut on as pe a normal posilock/Clarkson type,until someone pointed out the error o my ways.

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

In addition to the questions about the closure nut, is the end mill going through the entire length of the collet ? If not, (eg. too short), are you packing the open end of the collet with some material of the same diameter ?

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe