ERDE 122 Trailer wheel bearings

One wheel bearing has seized, there is a dust cap protecting the bearing how does this come off? and how do I replace the wheel bearing. Any advice appreciated Don

Reply to
Donwill

normally with a large flatblade screwdriver and a hammer. Gently persuade at the joint between the cap and the flange of the hub.

Once the dust cap is off the bearing is usually held on the flange with a castle-ated(?) nut and a splitpin. remove pin and nut and then wheelhub assy. One side might be left hand threaded, but probably not.

Once off generally drift / press out old bearing and press in new one.

Can you even get the bearing as a spare part?

hth

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Yes, taper rollers at a guess like my cheap flat pack ebay 1/2 ton jobby. Get the numbers off the side of the race and go to a bearing factors - I used The Bearing Mart, Jackson Street, Manchester. I think the cheap Chinese bearings that come as standard only last a few thousand miles, well one of mine only managed about 6 months of very occasional use. Replace them with something better quality and you'll be fine for ages.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

As others have said regarding the hub and bearings, but if you have brakes on the trailer, slacken the shoes the right back before you start. Richard

Richard Shute

I've used these guys for bearings before and had good service.

I've no connection with them.

John

Reply to
John