Excellent Service

It's very nice these days to be able to report excellent service from a company.

I recently bought a 100KVA generating set knowing (as told by the previous owner) that it had an electrical fault. Investigation showed that it was giving only 160v or so off load, and the p/o had said it had been working fine then one day he started it up and got the symptoms I'd seen. Everything pointed to the regulator (takes generator o/p in and creates the direct current for the exciter in a closed loop, adjusting o/p to give the right volts. Measurements showed no drive to the exciter and the generator o/p was due to residual magnetism.

Manufacturer (Contrology) of the regulator went to the wall years ago, and it's a potted unit crawling with leds and 10 turn pots. Turns out that a firm called Roper Electronic Engineering Ltd of Wolverhampton got the manufaturing rights. Call to them revealed they can still make them (£300 +vat) and were happy to test my unit. Off it went by special delivery only to find someone had been pot twiddling and all that was wrong was it wasn't set up right. It was back to me the following day all for £10 +VAT and the carriage.

Top marks for honesty - they could have sold me a new one Top marks for service - excellent rapid turn round

Moral dilema - do I tell the previous owner !!!!!

BTW if anyone has any gen on a Ford 2704ET 6 cyl 150 HP turbo charged diesel engine or its Simms injector pump I'd like to hear from them.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Tough decision Andrew, but I'm sure you will figure it out ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Andrew,what do you want to know about engine/pump?I`ve got one in my crane and four cylinder versions in other things.The 2700 series was a very popular engine,thousands of them about.New spares from Ford are getting scarce,they couldn`t do a dipstick about three years back.You pump will have a different governor setup as it`s for generator duty. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

back.You

duty.

Mark,

Really looking for any service information against the day when I will need it ! Only part I currently need is the circular clamp that holds the turbocharger to the manifold - though I can probably mend the broken one at a push.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Shouldn't need anything if it's in decent nick. These things were made to be air dropped on Bosnia. Usual oil and filters, fuel filters and they had a strainer gauze in the top of the lift pump, central 7/16" A/F bolt.

Might pay to get a spare set of injector pipes as these can snap or they seize up in the barrel nut, injector end when unscrewing.

Pump and injectors will last for ages on your running. On the big circular pump mounting plate there is a hexagon socket bung. Removing this will show you the mark on the back of the gear for timing. This times to a notch in the front pulley against a tin pointer. AFAIR no special tools needed. Tappets are 6 and 8 thou inlet and exhaust but they aren't critical, we used to set them by feel. Get one cylinder rocking and set it's mate.

If they had a weak point on the turbo's it was the head gasket, not the same as the non turbo it was silvery halite coated, again may pay to get a spare and manifold gasket, the rest can be knocked up out of a cornflakes packet. Don't use Special K as the reduced sugar drops the revs by 400.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

To add to John`s info,the main reason I have seen for these engines blowing up is low oil level.The dipsticks on them are notorious for the cap which acts as a depth stop coming lose on the stick allowing the stick to further into the sump.This problem is further compounded by the fact that there is several different versions of sump available for these engines and each one uses a different dipstick.I have worked on these engines since the middle seventies and this has always been a problem.We had fifteen of the four cylinder versions on powder tankers driving Rootes blowers and we carried seven spare engines and had great difficulty rebuilding engines quicker than the drivers were blowing them up. When I have owned them I always check the version of sump that`s on it matches the OEM spec,then do an oil change using the amount of oil specified then check the dipstick matches the level.Being a gennie you might have a low pressure/level cut out so this might not be so important.I`ve got a big Husky forklift in my yard the now with a seized engine caused by having the wrong dipstick. I don`t rebuild the engines now as there is enough of them lying about to make it cheaper to replace,but when we did when we sent a crank for regrinding we got them crack tested and a lot of them were.I might have a spare owners handbook lying about somewhere but as John says they are very simple/reliable engines. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark