Flame proof material what can I use

Hi I need to flame proof around the coil of a pop pop boat which I am building my son. I have considered using an old oven glove chopped to fit and glued to the balsa cover, but I'm worried that this will fail as the glue gets warm. Is there any flame proof/insulating board material about 2-3mm thick available from any suppliers that could be use.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Richards

While at university I had a summer job in a factory that made large transformers (for vehicle battery chargers) and they used kevlar sheet for high temperature insulation. This IIRC was more like cardboard than cloth. Google found a UK site that sells kevlar:-

Just a thought; could you not also try either a thin coating of fire cement or maybe polished stainless steel sheet/foil ?

Reply to
Neil Barnes

Buy a tin of fire cement and form the shape that you want out of that in situ

Andrew Mawson Bromley, Kent, UK

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Also try looking under the name Nomex

you can get small sheets from

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

See if you can find a local supplier of Kaowool - comes in all sorts of board forms and as a cotton-wool like material and has phenomenal heat insulation and fire proofing properties - its a spun ceramic fibre.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

It used to be possible to buy a fireproof blanket about 12" x 12" from Homebase and B & Q in their plumbing and heating section. These were used for protecting the fabric of a house when you were installing plumbing of one sort or another. Should do what you want.

Reply to
Clive

If you cant find anywhere local, try :-

usual disclaimers.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Don't forget that "flameproof" isn't heat-proof! You may stop the flames, but still need air-space around to stop nearby bits of the boat catching fire!.

Dave

Reply to
speedy2

A good glue could be sodium silicate. In Canada, small bottles are sold for gluing on the door seals of wood stoves. This is a much thicker solution than the stuff used for ceramics.

Steve R.

Reply to
Udie