Friction (clutch) lining

What they manage, and how it actually works are two very different things. And having just found a parts diagram, those with the brake option, use two seperate controls, unless you go for the remote option, where they can sneak in a some electronic wizardy to help provide a smooth transition, which is part of my long term plan.

Not anymore than a manually operated one. With a manually operated winch, you've got two levers. One for the brake (that's if theres one fitted, as the brake is optional on quite a lot of winches), and one for the clutch. You can get the timing just as wrong with two manual levers, than you can with two hydraulic spool valves.

I know the importance of safety, and getting a machine that does the job, how we want it done without failing is the top priority. If you've ever been on site, when the winch that's supposed to pull 3.5t decides it's not going to when you've just cut through the trunk of a 50 foot tree, you'd soon understand why failure is not an option.

And in case you're wondering why a commercial winch isn't an option, we want a custom set-up on the front of the tractor that minimises how far it sticks out the front, and can also accomodate the PTO which isn't positioned suitably for commercial winches.

Reply to
moray

Really?

So you say.

No, I've never been on a logging site that needed a 3.5t winch to drop saplings. >

Why would I bother? You're into a kindling operation whereas my involvement was with logging.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

We're all very impressed, Tom.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Tom, Was this for Bryant and May ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Really? I couldn't give a tinker's damn.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Bryant & May? Smalltime pommie sawmillers? Hardly.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Cocktail sticks I thought

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Cocktail sticks? Must be the bane of a laundrymaid's life, causing all those clogs, Andrew?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I suppose thats why you bothered to reply then

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Oh heck - Tony has been on the psychology course, now we're in for it

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No, the wire from under wired bras is the real bane of our life! They get stuck in the 'dump valve' of washing machines jamming them open (a 2" full bore valve that lets the machine empty under gravity), they go through the holes between the inner and outer drums and make a racket, and they stick in the holes in the tumble driers drums and jam. Only one thing worse is disposable gas lighters. If left in a pocket in the driers, they burst, the gas ignites (the heat source is a flame) and the door is blown open. Yes had it happen several times now !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Had a daughter's bra wire make a mess of a domestic washing machine. The effort involved in removing the drums is non-trivial.

The first time I washed out some oil rags in a modern domestic machine, it took out the recirculating pump motor. The motor had a shaded pole synchronous motor driving the pump, with a ferrite magnet rotor _in_ the water. Needles to say, it didn't work as well with a nice layer of cast iron dust and black iron oxide stuck in the "air" gap. Since then, when I've been sad enough to wash out oil rags I've given them a pre-wash in the concrete mixer.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

times

machine, it

We have a local hand car wash use our facilities regularly for their rags - we insist that they also pay for a second wash of old but clean towels to ensure that the machine is clean for the next customer. We do the same for clients with horse blankets !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Picky bastard, Get the car wash people to do their's first, then the horsey set and you only have to do one clean wash so making an extra shekel or two.

Added bonus is that Dobbin gets a nice shiny coat.

Ipso facto - case rests.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Yet again, it could be that a tinker's damn is worth more than a response to a snide post, or simply that I'm just informing you of the value I place on your post. Is it a pommie thing that only UK posters are permitted sarcasm and non-UK posters are not permitted to respond in kind? I suggest in future, if you consider that certain posters aren't capable of responding to their own posts and need sniping support from the sidelines, you insist that they place a caveat in their posts admitting their frailties.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom That's a brilliant idea that we place caveat's in our posts, [ What's a caveat ? are they made by Vauxhall ? ]

So for the next two months, July and August We need to start all ours posts :-

BEWARE, - INCOMMING CAVEAT [ or Fiesta if you drive a Ford]

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

caveat ? are they

It take it, an INCOMMING CAVEAT would be made in the old Rootes factory?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Well that's inflation for you - sounds like the value of tinker's damns has gone through the roof since the last time I couldn't give one. At this rate, they'll be quoted on NASDAQ and none of us will be able to afford one.

......Whatever.

Not at all - sarcasm is freely available to all comers as far as I can tell, and I see that you have had no qualms about using it yourself. Its just that we are generally so much better at it ;-)

On the contrary - I'm sure that posters in here are perfectly capable of giving as good as they get. So if you can't cope with what you consider to be snide comments against your posts without chucking your toys out of the pram, you could always put in your own disclaimer forbidding such crass behaviour - then we could all ignore it & it will be business as usual

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Guess you've never had to drop a 'sapling' that's leanng the opposite way from the only safe place to drop it then? The only kind of site this winch is likely to see is a building site. Usually after they've started building the houses (why nobody thinks about applying for planning permission to fell the trees, at the same time they apply to build the houses is beyond me!).

We also do kindling. Got a nice homebuilt kindling wood processor, that works far quicker than any of the commercial offerings, and cost a fraction of the price ;-)

moray

Reply to
moray