Fun silence breaker-razor blades

Ok, for the few of us left, while the rich or not busy, are on holiday, a light hearted topic that eventually irritates me.

Razor blades are advertised as being super sharp, titanium or whatever blah, blah, blah.

So why do they go blunt so quick !!!!

Future sales maybe? beard hair is tougher than the mild steel that my HSS lathe tools cut merrily for ages?

I wonder...........................................

Bob

Reply to
Emimec

I reckon you are not trying Bob! One pack of 5 flat double sided old fashioned blades will last me a year of shaving every day. I do not sharpen them in anyway either. I bought 50 packs for £1.50 in 1976 and I still have plenty left.

Bob (another one)

Reply to
Bob Minchin

What temperature water do you use? Maybe you have successfully annealed=20 your beard while the first Bob hardened his :)

Reply to
Cliff Ray

I use fairly hot water with those silly little tablets of hotel soap in my shaving bowl and a decent brush. At the age of 55 I think I'm on my 3rd shaving brush which means I will have spent more on brushes than any other shaving consumable. It is not that I'm mean- I just hate having to shave let alone pay for the privilege!! And SWMBO has banned beards if I want to share her bed!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

What temperature water do you use? Maybe you have successfully annealed your beard while the first Bob hardened his :)

Oh well, that was a short lived bit of fun !! I guess I forgot to mention it was the newer type of multi blade cartridge style blade. I never used soap for shaving, just run the blade under the running tap, guess that could be a reason, old man with brittle stubble !!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

you'll have buy one of those magic pyramids.

other than that shave in the bath.......you get three goes out of them then .

buy your blades on ebay......have a look around

i got 50 packs a couple of years ago for a Gillette sensor for =A39.99 loads of similar deals still on there .

As regards them getting blunt .......same deal as the washing powder that gets better every year :)

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

holiday, a

whatever blah,

Such extravagance ! I'm still on the blades I bought when I was in my early twenties, and now I'm retired! Mind you my wife of 35 years has never seen me without a beard

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Same here, but first wife. Back to the blade fun, we now established that I also have a beard, only shave the "side of face" so even less "work" for the blade, that blunts in about a month.

Shock of the week, Fanuc want to charge me nearly £500 to increase memory in a controller, that only they can do, and then charge £71 an hour on top of this, including travel time, to get to me to do it !!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Doesn`t sound a lot for Fanuc,Bob.They once asked me for =A31200 up front to come to Edinburgh to reload software in a control.The =A31200 was only a down payment and the rest was to be paid when they`d done it,but,there was no guarantee that they could actually do it when they got here. They are that busy they relocated to a small setup over in Northampton or somewhere a couple of years back.All their test rigs are stored in a garage in Milton Keynes because the new place is so small and if you need something tested they expect you to pay them to go and collect the test rig and set it up,test your bit,dismantle the rig and return it to the garage. Have you checked out the alternatives to Fanuc?There are a few good ex Fanuc guys working for themselves now.

Reply to
mark

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

My wife (of 37 years) married a clean shaven man and came back from honeymoon with a beardy. It was so hot in Greece it irritated my skin (at least that was my story). Fortunately she seems OK with it (hence the 37 years!). I do shave bits occasionally when I need to go to somewhere upmarket.

Seriously, I think the OP underestimates the usefulness of shaving soap in softening the beard hair. I never bother with a brush, just lather the soap on with my hands.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

cx?MOMOB1¼÷W????©???DHL8?àuÝ~Ä×Úäß[1ñ¶3³;³#z?c,?El°vag]¸èµeb??kj3?R?s?»è{¦ê§ Ãø?a???üò¥???þøyôtûirÔ?æMs(É?RL?³y ?ízñK ?À SRNc????-%?åTUu3}p³?ÿ3j??­¥ÂáHAQ:?í+6ü??®öEWîQ÷ü? «;?}b]Cjâ7óÅÖfݪ äè?[Ç:Eß=?CL.)?uZcqABñ jtrp

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

They don't. You should have been alive and had to use the blades we had in the late 1940's, things like Blue gillette. They were blunt before we started. This all changed around 1952 when Wilkinson Sword brought out the first stainless steel blades - but they were very difficult to obtain after they eneterred the americam market and hadn't allowed for their demand.

The early growth of beard hair is as hard (if not harder) than your finger nails and your mild steel is securely held.

Reply to
Neil