Gears

Hi, Gear systems can be used to lower RPM, thus increasing torque, correct? If so, can they be used the other way round? For example if I had a high toque motor, I could lower the torque and increase the RPMs?

Reply to
Michael

Yes.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

This is normal in clock work, however the tooth form is always close to epicycloidal which I understand is not ideal for power transmission in which the speed is reduced and torque increased.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

IIRC the cycloidal form has less friction than the involute form at the expense of vibration.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand