HELP Boxford 125CTL

Hi

I have a new toy an early Boxford 125 CTL and was wondering if anyone had a copy of the software to sell. Also has anyone converted one to run on a PC?

Cheers

Oilythumb

Reply to
CHRISTOPHER ALLEN

If you are referring to the BBC Micro s/w, I think you will find that it is copy protected. I went through this a while back (I have 2 of these beasts) & concluded that a complete re-fit with new stepper drivers and a PC-based control was the best solution. Shortage of round tuits has meant that they are still awaiting conversion ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I also have one of these. The software is copy protected - at least I have been unsuccessful at making a successful backup of the floppy disk. What worries me is what happens when the 5.25" floppy disk decides to become unreadable? Not too worried about the BBC-B as I have half a dozen of them lurking in the store room just in case.

I don't see why it is necessary to gut all the electronics - the driver boards are conventional step and direction ones. It should be possible to feed them and the speed controller and spindle position marker from a modern break-out board if the interface n\board fitted resists attempts at being driven from a PC.

I also suffer from a lack of round tuits - but I have now got the necessary

37-way D plug and socket to make a break-out lead to try to find out what signals the beast needs.

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

I can probably help with that. I wrote two programs in the distant past, one a "laplink" lookalike to copy programs from a BBC disk to a PC with a serial cable and a straight forward BBC disk close program. Give me a postal address and I will send a copy of each. Unless of course you have connected the BBC up to email :)

Cliff

Reply to
Cliff Ray

You can probably do that without too muchtrauma to the existing electronics - however, I fancy converting mine to use microstepping drives (the existing ones are full or half stepping), which will make them somewhat smoother in operation.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. If you fancy taking Cliff up on the offer of BBC software Dick and manage to get a copy of the Boxford software is there any chance of a copy :)

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
CHRISTOPHER ALLEN

I realise this is an old thread but I can add some facts to it that may help, or at least deter people from buying one of the 125s that are washing around EBay. I used to work with one of these so when I saw one on EBay I thought it might be useful and contacted the right people at Boxford who told me the following, they can not supply the BBC software as they no longer have a working BBC micro and are not prepared to do anything to alleviate that situation. Also all the necessary software to run from a PC is available, but they can not supply it to any private individual as they have a contract with the authors that it can only be sold to educational establishments, and it's dongled. So expect absolutely no help from Boxford with software for these machines.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

All true. However:

- Neither the BBC software nor the more recent PC software is any great shakes; there are better alternatives available to the hobbyist that would be a very much preferable choice;

- Even if Boxford were prepared to upgrade old machines to their current PC software, I doubt that anyone (other than schools that don't know better) would swallow the price-tag, so the fact that they don't offer any help is kind of moot..

So, if you view these machines as the basis for a hardware/software retrofit onto a (mechanically) perfectly sound machine, you won't go far wrong. The spindle motor/controller is very nice and perfectly serviceable, and the axes come fitted with ballscrews. The rest of the electronics sucks, and should be tossed out in favour of modern stepper motors and modern chopper drives. Fit a PC and your fave driving software (and the current favourite has to be Mach 3), and you've got a pretty reasonable desktop machine.

Given the above, I can't see why anybody should be deterred from buying one as long as they are prepared to do the retrofit.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Agreed, so long as you are prepared to rip out most of the electronics and start again they are a very good platform, though I would only buy one with a tool changer as it's a PITA having to constantly change the tool manually from what I remember all those years ago. Of course your average Ebay seller isn't going to explain it quite that way 8-), I've even seen one claiming you could get support from Boxford! so though it worth pointing it out in case anyone here thought it was otherwise.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Hi Greg

Thanks for picking up my original thread. I have actualy got mine running not perfect yet but comming along. My only real contact with Boxford was about the tools for the 125 they were friendly and helpful but wanting £85 + PP + vat for a lefthand turning tool :(( Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris

It's a long time ago Chris but I think the tooling was standard and we bought it from elsewhere, nowadays the model engineering suppliers all have lots of tooling with interchangeable tips so I'm sure you'll be able to find some at better prices. I'm glad you've got it going, I used to have great fun with one and I got paid to do it 8-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg

hello chris and other did any one get or has got a copy of the disk fo

the 125 i,ve got mine to run and got around the eproms etc but my dis has a bad sector and i cannt make a good copy as it hangs up if som one can lend me a copy i can get it to work and can help other to ge around the software issue as well reply to adrian lockrey snipped-for-privacy@skippysmt.com

0777 33 2423

-- adrian lockre

this thread:

adrian lockrey