Inverter VSD for Myford Super 7 attempting auto destruct

A decent modern Invertor should have all the parts included. Beware some models like the Mitsubishi where the keypad is an extra. These will only work in basic made because you need the keypad to alter any parameters. Still the best bang for the buck if you are not savvy with fitting industrial board invertors into boxes and picking you way round are The Telemechanique ones from RS. are called the Altivar ATV 11 series.

0.75Kw [ 1 hp ] part number 431-9184 is £100 less VAT This is complete.

You then need a 3 phase motor, 3/4 hp is fine. Expect to pay £70 tops for a new one. Anyone selling one more than this is ripping you off. If I told you the import price you would be amazed at the mark up. Don't buy machine Mart motors, burn the money instead under a kettle. This will improve the efficiency 200%.

Motors are calibrated in KW, roughly 750 KW = 1 HP so a motor than consumes 750Kw is rated at 1 Hp but one bar of an electric fire is also 750 KW and that doesn't revolve [ unless you are holding the hot end ] What matters on a motor are various formula that work out the efficiency. This can be expressed as a+b+c+bullshit = well know brand and you can't go far wrong. The Great Wall Tractor and Silk Flower factory is not a well known brand.

You then need two or three switches depending if you want reverse and a pot for speed. Start and reverse switches are identical and are push to make contact type. Stop switch is a push to break type. Decent 22mm Telemechanique ones from RS are about £7.00 each or raid the scrap box as anything will do, they have to switch 24volt max at

10 milli amp. The pot is determined by the invertor, the value will be listed in the book but thy are not critical. I fit 22K ones to everything I get because I'm to idle to order all different ones. Expect to pay £4-£5 max.

You then need an enclosure, box or panel to mount the switches, a length of 6 core alarm cable or similar light cable, a length of 1.5mm

3 core plus earth for the motor and a length of 2.5 mm 2 core plus earth for the mains in.

That's the total expense.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John, you need to check your units; 1 HP = 750W (actually, 748W but that would be too pedantic!). I wouldn't want to be paying your electricity bill if you have any 750KW electric fires in your place. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

At last the true cause of global warming is revealed :)

Reply to
Cliff Ray

OK, OK it was late and funnily enough I had spent about an hour on the phone talking to the motor importers so I had KW on the brain.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

John

Thanks for your detailed post which has filled in the remaining (at the moment) blanks that were stopping me actually getting on and doing something. I'm a bit slow to say thank you I'm afraid as I missed it last night (you must have been up late) as I was "playing" with my "new" old Boxford that I had just brought home from JL down in deepest Wales.

I'm struggling this morning trying to find a supplier that agrees with your fair pricing strategy for a motor. RS want =A3136 for an ABB and the "local" rip off merchants obviously want me to pay for their next Rolls Royce (or is it BMW these days). Strange you say that the "The Great Wall Tractor and Silk Flower factory" is not well known, down here all the traders seem to have found them and have lots in stock (funny that). Anyway the search continues but with hope more than expectation. I suppose I could always fit an old single phase motor to the Myford for the time being while I collect the bits as they appear on E-bay. Trouble is as you will know this "enthusiasm" is volatile stuff, if you don't use it straight away it evaporates.

If I take the Telemechanique option will I be missing any (important) functions that I need later when I might know a bit more about what I'm doing? I know that I've obviously been "got at" by modern advertising but it does seem very good value for money. A couple of people including yourself I think have pointed me towards your adverts page and the Yaskawa inverters being sold by Clive Steer. I know Charles is waiting for his to arrive. If he has any left would a couple of these fill the bill?

JG kindly sent me a detailed E-mail with a few pictures of his set up and when picking up the Boxford last night JL let me have a look at his arrangement on the Marlow. Both of these were quick to point out the excellent advice and support you gave them and both agreed with you that it really is more straight forward than I was suspecting.

With the excellent advice I've received from you all my confidence is very high and I'm now thinking of 3 systems to do the Myford, Boxford and a VMC mill. Possibly better to sort one out first but I 'm so fired up with enthusiasm I just need to get off my backside and chase down some motors that won't empty the wallet completely. I feel a trip "up north" coming on but how do you know where to look. Hundreds of small 3 phase motors must be "disposed of" in a month; I know that we used to throw them away because no one wanted them - how times change at least for me.

Many thanks to all of you for your help and advice, I'll stop thinking and get on with doing although, I suspect I might be back for a few more pointers on the detail.

Best regards Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Ironically ABB motors are now made in Rumania. The truck that delivers to my supplier has 1/2 a load of motors badged in his name and the other half are ABB's going to other distributors.

Yes nothing wrong with any of the modern invertors provided they are complete. Check with Clive that they have the panel and other bits. I did see a post where some were being offered without panels and heat sinks but these could have been old stock ones. Best to check. As regards features you will never need anything that isn't here now. In fact they have roughly from 130 to 250 different parameters to change to suit all applications. If you play with one a week you will be dead before you find out how it all works

Can't help on second hand ones but if you want two or three it may pay to get them all shipped to you in one go, drop me an email with what you need.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

The ones Clive has do not have the programming panel, but he will set them for your requirements if you tell him what it's for. The 1kw is a modified (and suitably de-rated) 440v inverter -but at £40 including postage it's almost as cheap as a big capacitor, and a much better job. I'm just waiting for a couple to arrive (1kw & 2kw).

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

S T M power transmissions might be worth talking to Tel 01606 301 250

sold me 10 off 0.37 kW motors at £ 56 each..

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

You were ripped off for 10 off. Ask me next time.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I agree! My Crompton blew its top a few months ago - the mechanical startup switch had self destructed. The first delivery from Newton Tesla had the motor wrecked by the delivery lorry people, despite some pretty good packing - it had been heavily shunted in its case so the fan and its cover were shattered - an Australian 1 hp motor. Another was despatched the next day.

The control is so smooth I couldn't contemplate going back to a 1phase drive and fixed speed. Having an ML7 with Trileva, I have now tremendous speed and torque control. Top speed is now a bit higher than before, and bottom is about 1/4 rps.

Expensive - maybe, but the only hassle was getting the old motor off and the bolts lined up with the new - oh, and removing my old Dewhurst drum contoller and the NVR starter switch box. The latter was always a pain, as its magnetic circuit never seemed to line up properly twice running, so it buzzed till one tried starting it again, and again..............

Dave

Reply to
speedy

I agree, but I too have a lovely mechanical rev counter - make unknown, which on its slowest range, covers 60-240rpm, and its highest is

600-2400rpm, so together with a Starrett turns counter, I was able to knock up a set of three graphs which give me a pretty good idea of what the Mitsubishi controller on the NT CL750 is up to with the three speeds of my Trileva.

So what with that, and the s/h gearbox bought last year at Donnington, my old 7 is going great guns!

Dave

Reply to
speedy

Has anyone considered a digital SPEED readout for their lathe?

Dave

Reply to
speedy

It's covered in the Shumatech so on a lathe you can get two axis DRO and the 3rd can be speed. The manual is here

Regards

Charles

Visit

The free pages to buy and sell workshop equipment

Reply to
Charles Ping

On my Myford 254 in backgear on the slowest belt setting (marked as

53rpm on the lathe) I can now get 6>60rpm using the speed "pot" on the drive, obviously the new motor is faster flat out.

On the second slowest direct setting (marked as 584rpm) I can now get

60>715 rpm.

Like I said it is almost silent...in fact it is silent when running at low speed, and no vibration (unlike the old set up that did the single phase pulsing trick)

Has anyone a contact for a jobbing driver with a truck and Hiab? I keep seeing tidy Bridgeport's coming up on Ebay and would need it transporting up to Scotland.

I know that Pallet Line is an option, but I just can't see a Bridgeport being a viable load on a pallet??

Too top heavy perhaps?

I just checked the motor speed flat out 1730 rpm, that gives me a great speed range without belt changing.

Spent the morning looking for last winters crop of dog shit with a petrol strimmer.....found LOADS too :o((

I should have making tap handles for my bro-in-law, funny that non-technical people soon grasp what you can make for them on a lathe!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

The Beaver Turret Mill is probably about the same weight as the equivalent Bridgie, and it is fairly top-heavy, enough that I wouldn't trust it on a pallet alone.

When we moved our Beaver we had it strapped tightly down to the trailer with the head lowered, and it was sitting on a couple of 8" X 1" X 36" timbers. I didn't move an inch on the way home, but we had six straps on it....

The problem with Scotland trips is that we go up loaded, so we rarely have space going up, unless we are collecting stuff for refurbs in which case we can take something up.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes