Lathe

Hi, I'm trying to get into lathe work for modelling. I'm not experienced in any way, but willing to learn. Does anyone know of any classes in the Manchester area please? I'm looking for a good used lathe, something like the `Clarke 6`, or am I wrong with that machine? I'm retired and a carer for my sweet wife who is a stroke victim for 9 years to date, so being house bound I thought I would get another hobby I can do in my shed. Regards.John

Reply to
john

Tony Jeffree

[snip]

Oh Dear! Not another refugee from uk.rec.sheds?

In message , Tony Jeffree writes

Take Tony's advice and attend a local class if you possibly can. From personal experience I can assure you that it really is the best way to start.

As for the choice of lathe, I think that the best advice is to hold back for a short while, take first hand advice and think very carefully about a good second hand machine. This is because in the early days you will be strongly reliant upon serialised "how-to-do-it" construction series in magazines like EIM and ME. For good or ill the great majority of these articles are likely to be "how-to-do-it-on-a-Myford".

Reply to
Mike Hopkins

Thanks all for your advice, of which I'll take heed for sure when circumstances allow. At this moment in time, I'm trying to swim with my hands and feet tied together. I'm reading all there is on this wonderful site though. I'm hoping to get down to our mutual friend Kenneth Widdall who has invited me down to his place by private email. Regards. John and thanks again.

Reply to
john