Light Oil

Can anyone help my by recommending a light oil for small precision mechanisms? I have been playing about with low differential temperature sterling cycle engines recently, and have one that quite happily runs on the tiny bit of heat generated by my computer monitor. Obviously a minuscule amount of power is available for these things, and good lubrication is vital. WD40 works fine for a few days, but then turns sticky and has to be cleaned off. 3-in-1 is too thick, and the "Clock Oil" I bought from Proops last year is OK at first, but again turns sticky in a week or two. Any suggestions welcomed.

Mike D Pembrokeshire

Reply to
durnfjm

try back-to-black silicone spray.

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

A good quality trumpet valve oil perhaps? Holton, Yamaha or Bach are good brands. These are generally designed not to break down into residues.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Could you consider using a dry lube, like graphite. That would be my choice.

Joules

Reply to
Joules Beech

And my tip is petroleum.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Automatic transmission fluid?

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Try ZX1 C76 microlube, very thin oil, doesnt seem to gum things up at all. I was given a sample pack and its been very good.

hth Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

What about clock or watch oil - formulated not to dry out.

Available from Shesto.

John Ambler Sussex, UK Return E-mails to snipped-for-privacy@skiprat.net

John Ambler

He tried that - it dried out.

Reply to
Boo

Try the light oil sold as a laxative/stool softener. This is the same as the lubricant sold as "white oil", which is used to lubricate restaurant equipment. It is also used to lubricate hair clippers and electric shavers.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

An addition: I have a flame-licker that I only got running with petroleum as lubricant. Tried some sewing-machine oils and they all didn't work.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

The above is a good idea, but ask the chemist for "liquid paraffin" (less embarrassing!). I was going to suggest sewing machine oil too. For solid lubricants, Moly Disulphide rather than graphite. Get an "assembly paste" and burnish it on to the surfaces.

Tribology isn't an exact science!

Reply to
Newshound

Diesel?

Reply to
SimonJ

The best oil I have used in just this application is some watch oil given to me 30 yrs ago, the guy who gave it to me told me it was of whale oil origin-which had the particular virtue that it never went "gummy" and this has proved to be the case. I must point out that I do not approve of the killing of whales, however good their oils are, but I have never found a better oil for this sort of purpose (poipoise?) I suspect that a watch oil from such as walshes:

be a better bet than from proops, which might just be an ordinary mineral oil thinned out with a lighter fraction that evaporates-same will happen with WD40, dry lubes as suggested might work, but may upset tolerances depends on your scale. Afraid I cant spare any remaining stock, must be only 20 cc left. Cheers, M.G.

Reply to
Mark G

In article , " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" writes

You might look at Carr's Micro Oil - see

I bought some a while ago; have not had occasion to try it, but its spec sounds about what you are looking for.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

In article , David Littlewood writes

Don't you juste hate web sites that have the same address for every one of a hundred pages. Look for Soldering and Brazing/Carr's Solders and Fluxes. I know, it sounds odd, but that's where it is.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

[snip]

They use frames, which most of the rest of the world abandoned long ago for precisely that reason. It's two pages embedded in another - one with the menu on the left, the other with the catalogue on the right. The address bar in your browser only shows you the address of the "parent" page (the frameset). But the "sub" pages (frames) do have addresses. To find the address in Firefox, you have to right click in the relevant bit of the page (somewhere on the right, in this case), then select This Frame > View Frame Info and the address will be there. There will be a similar option in IE and other browsers somewhere. Sadly, some sites won't work properly if you go "direct" like that, you might never see the menu etc. The Chronos site works though, if you have scripting turned on (it pulls a trick with the address and reloads the page).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Wow, thank you.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

The only way I've found to do this in IE is to select 'view', 'privacy report'; somewhere in the list of files is the URL for the sub-frame you want. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

[snip]

I just went a tried the Windows machine in the house (I'm usually on a Mac) and in IE6, you can get the address by right-clicking (away from any images or links) and selecting Properties. No idea about IE7, not got it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton