Light Oil

You could try 'Fomblin' oil which has a very low vapour pressure so it doesn't dry out. We used to use it in vacuum chambers for lub. as the non-evaporation meant it didn't contaminate stuff we were analysing. It is also used by some watch people so may be similar to the 'watch oil' referred to already.

Richard

Reply to
sharkface-pilot at toucansurf

Many thanks to all who replied to this request - lots of good ideas here.

Mike D Pembrokeshire

Reply to
durnfjm

Looks like the thread is just about exhausted but on the subject of watch oils, the stuff sold by Proops was(is?) evil stuff (mine was of Indian origin). It will oxidise to gum within a very short time. The best stuff is genuine Moebius Swiss watch oil availble from Meadows & Passmore & elswhere. It's ideal for lubricating dti mechanisms. There are some fascinating items on their stock list.

Seymour Swarf

The Moebius oil is good! In defence of the white oil that I also favour, there is in front of me, a French carriage clock. It was serviced in my repair shop 30 years ago. More recently, I purchased it from my old customer. It is still running, after being lubed with white oil 3 decades ago. The oil is a little gummy now, but only when it's very cold, below 5C or so.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.