machine oil

The Student[1] says it should run on Shell Tellus 27. I doubt that this will be readily available. I noted today that the level is a bit down on
the sight glass, although it still has oil in it.
What else is suitable and will it mix with whatever's in there (which might even be shell tellus 27 or equivalent), or do I have to try to find out how to get the oil out of it and refill it?
I've seen disrecommendations for running it on too-thick oil in an attempt to reduce the leaks, and unless the oil is very expensive, I'm not bothered at the small amount this one leaks, keeps the rust at bay.
[1] not student, which of course run on junk food and beer.
On Oct 3, 11:48 am, Austin Shackles

This might be useful: http://groups.google.ca/group/uk.rec.models.engineering/browse_frm/thread/9bd509a5fed9d1a0 #
I found the castrol equivalent in RS, and J and L iirc, tho Ive not bought any yet. (that time thing again) I think any hydraulic oil should mix ok, no doubt someone who knows will be along in a bit...
Dave
On 3 Oct, 11:48, Austin Shackles <austinDITCHTHISFORBETTERRESU...@ddol- las.net> wrote:

The exact equivalent of Tellus 27 is ISO 32 Hydraulic,probably the most commonly used oil in engineerig.On an old machine I would go up to ISO 46.You won`t be able to tell the difference but it won`t leak as much. Mark.
On or around Wed, 03 Oct 2007 04:44:37 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk"

ta. There's something about a spiral doofrit which thick oil doesn't travel down properly.
On 3 Oct, 11:48, Austin Shackles <austinDITCHTHISFORBETTERRESU...@ddol- las.net> wrote:

Had a thread on a similar topic earlier. I was looking for some 'light machine oil' for my lathe and someone at Shell suggested Tellus oil. It happens I had a gallon of Tellus 27 and asked the Shell people about using it. The thread continues :
"I had a word with Shell lubricants people about the gallon of Tellus 27 I discovered. The response was - blimey, we haven't made that since the 1970s. Its more viscous than Tellus 32 because the scales were changed at some point in the distant past. Its about equivalent to Tellus 37, but apparently that is on an altogther different scale from engine oils - so you can't compare the numbers. They said it should do the job nicely - so I'll give that a go."
I don't know if that helps - but from that I assume that Shell still makes Tellus oils - and that you wont be far wrong with the next grade up from 37.
I think the old Tellus oils were on a scale of their own making, and the change was when they adopted an ISO specification. Of course viscosity isn't the only thing, some oils affect seals and metals in different ways, but I am no expert on this. The reason I have Tellus oil is that it was a hydraulic oil used in motorcycle forks. However I am holding onto my Tellus 27 - sorry, but hope this helps !
Steve
On or around Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:02:31 -0700, Cheshire Steve

all handy info, thanks. I might see if I can buy a small amount from one of the local larger engineering-type places.
On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:12:45 +0100, Austin Shackles

    Isn't Myford's general 'moving parts & bearings' oil a 32 grade, and sold by mail order in litre bottles? --
Chris Edwards Wrote:

It's Esso Nutto 32,just an hydraulic oil. A litre from Myfords is about the same price as a gallon from anywher else.
Alla
-- Allan Waterfal ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?uR67 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tu165
On 5 Oct, 10:12, Austin Shackles <austinDITCHTHISFORBETTERRESU...@ddol- las.net> wrote:

Good idea - oils are one of those things with 'odd' markups (also bearings and oil seals). I was gob-smacked when I went to a wholesaler to get a gallon of Shell's finest EP90 for about 5.60 (I was expecting 15 min). I had also been looking for their GSX EP oil but the smallest quantity they did it in was 10 litres and I only needed 3 ! - I should have asked the price - I could have given the rest away and still been in the money.
If you want a really small quantity it just isn't available - but if someone is using trade amounts then its peanuts for them to give you a cup full !
If you want wholesale quantities it can be worth contacting Shell Direct - they will be on the web somewhere, and it seems to me they can deliver all sorts of odd orders if you ask (even though their website may look centered on heating fuel).
Steve
I came to this sight just to find out what tellus 27 was and having read this string I noticed someone mentioned they had a bucket of the stuff for their motor bike forks.I then thought maybe you could get a small amount from a bike shop
--
Budbo

This page demystifies a little bit the lubricant jungle a little bit. It is the Mobil page but it does give the technical specs for the oils. It also answers a question that was in my mind; "Can you use slideway oil in gear boxes?" As far as Mobil Vactra is concerned you can. Their oil is configured for dual application. I wonder if other companies do the same?
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Vactra_Numbered.asp