Making twist drills

Suprisingly I don't actually want to make my own twist drills -- after all they don't cost that much, but am curious to klnow how small twist drilss (say #60) are fluted.

Some victorian engineering texts which I have lying around show big twist drills being fluted on a horizontal mill with a universal dividing head, but the arrangement clearly wouldn't work with small drlls. Same book suggests that spade drills are the most suitable for these small sizes (and all my 0.1mm drills are in fact spades). However given that twist drills are readily available down to #80 I guess there is a special process for fluting theses sizes.

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of what it might be?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Small twist drills are ground from the solid. A site of sorts:

Tom

Reply to
Tom