ME Thread Data

Gentlemen,

I have looked at various Web sites for data on ME threads but cant find any thing of use, i.e. tapping size, clearance size and range of taps. The reason for this info is that I have sorted all of my taps out and found some odd ones from my late grandfather and I am wondering if they are ME.

Thanks in advance.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Martin, look at:

unfortunately there are a couple of broken links, but I have emailed Colin about them and expect he'll straighten them out soon.

Lots of other invaluable info on these pages too.

HTH, Michael Gray in Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Reply to
mcgray

Thanks Michael,

I did look here but found pages I couldn't access as you have said.

Mart> >

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I was just mooching through a Rotagrip catalogue on CD, and I see they list some. Seems they are mainly 32 or 40tpi (coarse or fine), with

40tpi only for 1/4 inch and below. Tapping size is presumably diameter minus pitch. Thread form is on Colin's website. I think there are some other obscure fine threads though, my father tells me one of his odd ones is 'telescope'. He also has some my grandfather made - if he wanted a scale thread he would make the taps and dies.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Is the data here of use ?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

The ME threads are Whitworth form so 55 degree included angle, height is

0.64P (where the constant 0.64 is actually 1/3 cot (27 degrees 30minutes) and P is pitch so either 1/32 inch or 1/40 inch for ME. The radius of crest rounding in terms of the pitch is 0.137P.

I keep mislaying all my thread tables but can get by with just the information above until I need tolerances and allowances (for which a trip to Machinery's handbook is required).

Alan Bain

Reply to
Alan Bain

Thank you Gentlemen,

The info you have all suggested shows me that I do have some ME taps and Dies.

Mart> >> Gentlemen,

Reply to
Campingstoveman