Metal Former

I am after something that can cut and bend small pieces aluminium sheet,

2ft wide and 1/8th inch thick. I see Chester do this sort of thing. Are these multiformers any good?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I've got the small one (1ft wide) and it works very well indeed. I'm very pleased with it.

Reply to
Gary Wooding

I've got the 2 ft Warco version. It will cut a 2 ft sheet of 1.2mm ali, will just about cut an inch wide strip of 2mm ali and won't even look at 3mm ali.

On the bending front 2 ft of 1.2 mm ali is ok. It will just about bend a 6 inch strip of 2mm ali to 90 degrees and I've just tried a 2 inch bit of 3mm ali and even with me dangling off the handle it didn't go much more than 20 degrees or so.

To say that the stnadard of workmanship in it is crap would be praise indeed, it took me two days to strip it down, clean the swarf out, get the flashing off mating surfaces etc.

On the other hand for two hundered odd quid it's a lot less than you'd pay for a decent second hand sheet brake or guillotine and for thin ali sheet it's ok.

For two feet of eighth sheet you'd be wasting your hard earned brass.

Dave "> I am after something that can cut and bend small pieces aluminium sheet,

Reply to
Dave

Thanks - 1ft is not quite enough, but 2ft would be. I don't intend to cut more than 3mm thick ali plate, but occasionally 1mm mild steel, copper and Brass.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I don't think I will be buying one of those then! Are they just like the Chester ones, is there an alternative?

What sort of ali, some of the alloys are very hard to bend, I would not try cutting or bending dural for example, if it does bend, it breaks, but it machines very well and makes excellent front panels.

I would have sent it back if it came like that. I'm sure the local suppliers would check these things first. A good reason to buy from a shop I guess. Pity Millhil has closed.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Yes, I have a 2 foot model. It is good unless you use it near it's maximum capacity (24" x 1mm steel IIRC) when it works but you need to have a physic like Popeye or weigh 20 stone! Other than that, they're great. Good value for money if you can stay within their limits.

Mark

Reply to
mark.howard10

Yes, I have a 2 foot model. It is good unless you use it near it's maximum capacity (24" x 1mm steel IIRC) when it works but you need to have a physic like Popeye or weigh 20 stone! Other than that, they're great. Good value for money if you can stay within their limits.

Mark

mark.howard10

I've no experience of the 2' model, although I've got the Axminster/Chester/Warco 12" model.

I have extreme difficulty meeting the specified bending/cutting figures printed in the manual, and even at 16st would not like to run into the bloke who managed to cut 1.0mm of steel with it...

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Looking at the pictures I'd say that they are pretty much the same animal.

The ali I use is SICH4 (1050A) described as commercially pure aliminum from Farnell. Very soft stuff indeed.

It was a case of "needs must", I had to get a job out urgently and the local sheet metal firms couldn't fit me in, hence the DIY appraoch. I know that the firms importing stuff from China all say that their display models are straight out of the box, but how many boxes do they open before they find one they like?

I'd second Duncan's point on cutting 1mm steel, Mike Tyson might manage it but not yours truly!

Reply to
Dave

Have Mill Hill closed?, I thought they were being taken over or changing hands or something like that.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I managed it but that was before I lost three stone! I doubt it would be possible now!

Mark

mark.howard10

Was the three stone lost during cutting metal, if so I am going to have to get me one of those...

Joules

Reply to
Joules

LOL