Metal hobbiest UK visit

Greetings:

I will visit the UK in May and will have a weekend or two of free time to tour around. Are there any recommended stops for a metalworking hobbiest? I will be in the Mildenhall area, and would travel within 1 day radius on train and taxi.

Regards, Jim Brown

Reply to
Jim Brown

Sadly Mildenhall is not very well connected to anywhere - other than by military jet! A hire car maybe useful!

I'd definitiely go to Bessingham Steam Museum, Near Diss in Norfolk. Losts of full size and narrow guage steam.

There's the Burrell Museum in Thetford, Norfolk

The Long Shop Musuem at Leiston in Suffolk.

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Hi,

Harrogate Model Engineering Show is weekend of 7,8,and 9 of May. One of largest shows in UK.

Would need to get a Car Hire to get there ( 200 miles ) from Mildenhall.

Harrogate is in Noth Yorkshire.

Rgds

Reply to
Tony K Ward

Is there any info on the internet about this show?

How much is entry fee?

I am hoping to attend, probably on the Sunday.

Regards, Dave Colliver.

Customise your internet experience

Dave

Of course London has the Science museum in South Ken, and the Kew Bridge museum

(but try and go when the engines are in steam).

If you're a railway fan then the museum at York is said to be a good day out;

Neil Barnes

Hello Jim,

I was very very _VERY_ dissapointed when I paid, and heavily at that, when I went there last year. The only saving grace was that it was the once a year miniature traction engine weekend. Great miniatures, great athmosphere. Just not worth the money otherwise. Maybe I was having an off day? Dunno.

Well worth it.

And also the Forncett Industrial Steam Museum

Regards GeoffH Norfolk - UK

Reply to
GeoffH

The North Norfolk Railway, Sheringham?

The workshops of the Bure Valley Railway at Aylsham are usually open to visitors - nice big gear.

Reply to
Tim Christian

If you're going to Harrogate, it isn't that far from there to visit the railway museum in York - some very serious steam hardware on display there.

Regards, T>Is there any info on the internet about this show?

Reply to
Tony Jeffree