milling...?

One of the things I make calls for an approx. 30mm half round cut into the end of a piece of approx 38mm tube, so as to mount a smaller tube across the end, more or less in a T shape. The 38mm tube is about 1.2mm wall or less, high quality seamless cro-mo cycle tube and thus quite hard, but not so hard that it can't be worked with ordinary tools - files tend to wear a bit fast on it though, so harder than plain MS.

what's the group consciousness think about sticking a suitable size/type cutter in the milling machine and putting the 38mm tube in the vice on the table and propelling it into the side of the cutter, so as to cut the aforementioned half-round?

can it be done? what sort of cutter?

it's a pain in the arse to do by hand...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

boring head would be the easiest way of doing this .

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

My uncle was a frame builder, now retired. He was certified to use all the Reynolds and Columbus tube types and used a jig he knocked up himself from an old drill press that allowed the tube to be held at the desired angle then the end was cut using a holesaw. Use a decent bi metal one like Starret.

I have seen similar jigs for sale but cant remember where.

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy

What about a hole saw through the end then cut off the bit you dont need.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Rotabroach cutter or even a decent holesaw with a more robust custom arbor. Done loads of holes in box section etc using holesaws in the mill.

You might want to make some softjaws for your milling vice to better support the tube rather than crush it as parallel jaws will tend to do.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

On or around Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:50:46 GMT, Wayne Weedon enlightened us thusly:

OK, 3 votes for "holesaw" so far, I shall investigate the possibility. Any other recommnedations for decent makes?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The great wall silk flower and tractor factory, Won Hung Lo chapter

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

something like this

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

Knew I had seen one somewhere, looks like Andrews link, probably out of the same chinese factory

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy

On or around 20 Mar 2007 01:06:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net enlightened us thusly:

that's more or less exactly what I want to do!

OK, hunt decent holesaws, and knock up some suitable jaws for the machine vice... I reckon the big mill-drill is solid enough not to need a specific fixture such as the above though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

People have been known to put a suitable hole saw in the chuck of their lathe, and clamp a tube at the correct angle on the cross slide to do jobs like that.

If you happen () to have a good solid bit of iron like a round head Colchester Student with a chunky 4 way tool post, a bit of welding fabrication would make up a tube clamp that could easily be fixed in the toolpost and easily removed when not needed !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On or around Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:19:54 -0000, "Andrew Mawson" enlightened us thusly:

I reckon the mill/drill will be easier though, maybe with a better vice.

Reply to
Austin Shackles