myford

ste

-------------------------------------

hi just wondered if you could powder coat a myford super 7 and would it be better than painting it

tanks ste

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - uk.rec.models.engineering - 12458 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ste

I powder coated mine, mainly in brass with a bit of steel and aluminium, and all stuck on with a liberal dose of oil. Somehow I don't think this is what you meant

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Myfords and other lathes are meant to be used not painted!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Well said...

& besides - I believe Myford do a fair amount of filling annd sanding prior to painting, so there would be a fair bit of work to do to get the castings down to bare metal before coating, and the coating would then nicely show off all the imperfections that the filler hides. So all in all, a total waste of time IMHO.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

That reminds me of a lecturer I had in Wichita Ks USA, he recounted how he had been told that the maintenance crew for the college were coming in to do some painting and he decided to pop in to check on things, only to find them having finished the first lathe, painted ways and all.

Reply to
David Billington

Well I suppose it does help stop any rust forming.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Makes sure that the ways don't wear too!

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree