OT:More transports of delight

We had a delivery of aluminium plate at work this week, and I was somewhat surprised to see an estate car pull up. Aparently the lorry had broken down and they decided it would be too expensive to hire a van until it was fixed. I don't know what the stuff in the back weighed, but it was heavy enough that we needed a forklift to get it out.

While chatting to the driver about how much they put in a car he told me that if you put half a ton on the roof rack of an astra estate it can pop the back window out -and they put that on the roofrack because the back was already full!!

The moral of this is to be careful who you buy a secondhand estate car from.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

We picked up a fitted kitchen in two trips to Hull (don't ask...) and the worktops were 4metres long and wouldn't fit inside the new, longer van, so we got the set of roofrack bars for the van.

Total weight is 150kg max, the fitting brackets on the van roof are just spot-welded bits of 2mm steel, so similarly be careful what you put on your roof-rack!

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Glad to learn you made it back in one piece, Peter.

Reverting to the original subject:

Pleased to report that the second attempt at collecting the lathe went very well. Left here 6am, arrived back 4:30 pm after 450 mile round trip & crowbaring the lathe out of its former workshop prior to loading onto plant trailer with skip wagon. Then spent 2 hours unloading & getting it into its new home! The trailer has large non-removable hinged ramps on the back, which made access with a floor hoist a bit awkward. Very glad I didn't go up with the transit to try to collect it.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Before you stick it up against a wall renew the suds pump cable and drill out the return hole for the coolant. I had mine go and had to knock a hole in the wall The drain hole was threaded something like 3/4 gas but only had a 3/8" hole thru it for about 2" in length.

Any chance of pictures of the apron mounted start switch arrangement ? Apron and both ends ? Shot of the gearbox input pulley would be nice if it isn't too late. Need to get away from this clutch on mine, can't plug reverse this without waking all the cats up around here

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Point taken, thanks

I'll see what I can sort out tomorrow

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

I have a Vauxhall Carlton Estate. Using uprated (dealer fit) rear suspension, it is rated to carry 650 kilos - I regularly used to carry 500 kilos of printing ink on a euro pallet in the boot, and have it loaded/unloaded by fork truck. Suspension lasted five years and 130,000 miles - carpet in boot lasted 3 minutes :.((

It's much easier to load up and drive with a plant trailer or "tow-a-van" though. - I've used a car transporter trailer to bring home 20ft lengths RHS steel tubing

-- BigEgg

Reply to
bigegg

05.30 this morning we were feeding the hosses, got to bed at 6am. We left the factory to go to R-R and then your place at 15.30 yesterday afternoon.

Looks like we did a lot more miles than I thought, nearly 600, but going out to Hull from your place and then back to Oldham after that must have put a few miles on....

Thanks for the throat lubricant :-))

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Mine is probably a bit different from yours. The suds pump is mounted above the 'drip tray', can't actually see where the drain goes to. It seems to be hidden behind the electrical panel. This has *seven* contactors, the main isolator switch, a transformer (for the lighting?) and four fuses on it, behind a proper cast door - & I'm about to shove it a few inches away from the wall :-( Not sure yet why a fairly simple manual lathe needs all that!

Not quite sure what you're looking for here

Done that

Mine has the 3000 rpm top speed, there's quite a bit of squealing (from the belts, I think) before it reaches that speed.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech