OT - Need a bit of computer help

Title says it all. I have had an old DOS shareware program for a few years. I can't find the author to pay the license so I'm stuck. The program is called geargen and is available from

draw a very accurate involute gear tooth.

Recently I have upgraded my computer from a 600 chip to a 2 gig chip, I'm still running the same version of W2K I was running before but now the program won't run. I get the splash screen up and that's it. Any idea's on this guys?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Downloaded the file and saved into F:/Tempfile\gearngn11

Open DOS window with RUN - cmd

Executable is GG110.exe

Runs OK on my setup, PIII 450 Win2kPro SP4, but I do have DOS6.22 installed as a dual-boot which may have made a difference.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Licencee is:

ATS Software PO Box 388 Gouveneur NY 13642 US of A

$US 79 licence fee

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Already tried that and no go. I think it has something to do with the fact that DOS is looking for the Autoexec.bat and config.sys file in W2000. The two files in C:\ root are empty

___

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Yes I had spotted this when I was running it years ago but they don't exist anymore. The last order form file I have is dated 1994.

___

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Downloaded it and it seems to run OK (I don't use gears enough to guess correct figures -keeps telling me I've put wrong data in) on my 2.5gig machine running WindowsXP, which isn't much help but at least you know it isn't just a speed issue.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Looks like the program 'steals' the clock timing from the motherboard and you are now running too fast for it.

Depending on the board/chip it may be possible to reduce the speed in the bios before it boots and then run the program. Afterwards you would have to change it back again or it would slow down your machine for everything else.

Just build something basic around your old board/chip with a small hard drive, just for running this program.

In message , John Stevenson writes

Reply to
George Hendry

The answer is in the 450 MHz Peter. Probably running 150x3 where his

2000 is running considerably faster, depends on his front side bus speed which could be 400MHz to start with or even faster if it is one of the latest boards.

In message , Peter A Forbes writes

Reply to
George Hendry

In the past I've used programs like MoSlo and CPUKiller to create a slow running shell on a fast PC. This allows me to use old progs which won't run on newer PCs.

Do a search on Google for them. I'm sure free downloads are available for at least one.

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton