Need Computer help!

Sorry for the off-topic--but after perusing this list last night, and reading my mail, I shut down. Now, all my fonts are gone, and the Windoze (W2000pro0 graphic have wing-dings or something in them, as do all dialog boxes... I run Norton firewall and Anti-virus, they are up-to-date, and don't find anything. Any suggestions? Roger

Reply to
Roger

Not real uncommon for WinDoze to hiccup and change the display properties, which is what your dilemma sounds like.

I don't have 2K on this machine and so can't give you a step-by-step, but in earlier versions you go to START-SETTINGS-CONTROL PANEL-DISPLAY to change themes, fonts or color schemes.

Don't know of a virus which fiddles with the display settings, but there certainly could be a few thousand.

There is a common virus which does truly odd things, and after a while your screen icons run away from your mouse pointer . . . kinda hard to execute programs that way.

You can surf to

and search the virus database for entries which manifest the behavior you have.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Have you done a Windows update lately?

In case you're not familiar with Windows update, run Internet Explorer, then choose Tools-Windows Update from the menu. It should take you to the Windows update site, and you can simply follow the instructions from there. Keeping windows updated is at least as important as running a firewall and keeping anti-virus defn's up to date.

Reply to
Eric Ellington

I should add that, if it's been a while since the last update, you may have to visit the site multiple times to pick up all of the critical updates.

Personally, I would get all of the critical updates and service packs installed. Then, I would pick up any driver updates available. The remaining "recommended" updates can be installed case-by-case if they fix a problem you've already encountered or affect software you typically use.

Reply to
Eric Ellington

Reply to
Bill

You're probably just not kicking it hard enough.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Reply to
Roger

You may have inadvertently set your system to an asian language whose fonts display strangely if they're not installed. Go to control pannel and in Regional Options and under the General tab, make sure "English" is selected. John

Reply to
TexMex

I saw similarly odd behavior once that turned out to be a bad display driver. I still don't know how it got corrupted in the first place (it's windows, after all), but reinstalling the driver helped. Either your computer vendor's website or the video card vendor's website (if you know which video card it is) should have a downloadable driver installation package.

Actually, on the subject of display drivers, I'd also ensure that the correct display driver is selected in the display properties. Again, I don't know how it would have changed, but it's worth checking, just in case.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else to try that hasn't already been suggested by other posters.

Reply to
Eric Ellington