OT: News readers

In another thread , amcnee writes

I currently access this goup via
How can I access it >using a newsreader?

You can expect that any half decent mail reader will include a news reader function, even, so I am told, MS Outlook (try the help button). But Micro$oft seems to want to hide it. Possibly because there is no money in it either for them or for those that ride upon their back.

There are plenty of better mail & news tools either freely available or relatively cheaply available. More importantly, unlike Micro$oft, most have no vested interest in subverting pre-existing industry standards. I use Turnpike (which used to come bundled with the Demon ISP deal) but there are plenty of others out there. Eudora seems well regarded and has a loyal user base.

Perhaps others in URME can make recommendations.

Reply to
Mike H

button).

standards. I

Yes I can confirm you can (and I do) access Newgroups via MS Outlook.(View-> Goto -> News) you will have to configure your News Server of course.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I prefer Thunderbird for newsgroups and Firefox as a web browser, both have useful features compared to the MS equivalents; available free at:

Dave

Reply to
Dave

=46orte Agent suits me fine.

--=20 cerberus

Reply to
cerberus

Ditto, and Opera for a browser.

Note that the 'paid-for' Agent is far better on features than the freebie one, which is what you'd expect, but still find folks complaining about it not having this and that...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

There is no question that using a newsreader (even Outlook Express) i

preferable to a web interface. I still don't know which NNTP server t point my newsreader at to find this forum. It seems that USENET are possiblity but they seem to require a subsctiption. I know tha newsgroups are often mirrored on multiple server with feeds coming fro different places including Google and RCGroups web sites. Any othe suggestions NNTP server mirrors?

Archi

-- amcne

----------------------------------------------------------------------- amcnee's Profile:

this thread:

amcnee

You don't point anywhere, the newsreader will automatically load the list of newsgroups when you first start, and then you select which ones you 'subscribe' to, although there is no subscription per se.

Usenet is a free access organisation, you pay nothing for the access.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

You need access to a news server though. Most ISP deals (except AOL) include this. Ask your ISP.

There are also a few commercial news servers. I don't have a list or anything, sorry. They tend to charge about a fiver a month, which is ridiculous - should be about a fiver a year for the average user.

There may even be some free ones, there used to be a few, but they tend to be limited - few groups, and no posting - and were becoming uncommon when last I looked (some years ago).

-- Peter Fairbrother

The new moon is shining the angels are washing their windows Above the years whose jumble sale goes spinning on below

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Problem solved.

I didn't realise that my own ISP (Blueyonder) linked to this group. I have been using my newreader and had set up accounts to access private groups, hence the question on where to point the newsreader. All that was required is to set up another account to the Blueyonder server. Easy when you know how.

Archie

Reply to
Archie

Have a read through some of these:

Too cold to go down to the garage this morning!

Bill H Derby

Reply to
Bill H

In message , Bill H writes

Just as the Trojans were warned to beware of Greeks bearing gifts so should one beware sites offering free spy-ware hunting software. Most spy-ware operates Trojan Horse style.

Reply to
Mike H

Sorry if I sent you off looking at the Spyware link instead of the Newsgroups one. I've tried Ad-Aware and SpyBot - they're standard recommendations in conjunction with a virus checker.

Another page on Newsgroups here:

Bill H Derby

Reply to
Bill H