Peculiar Threads - but UK

I've two pre- WW1 threads one measures at 6.3mm across the threads and is

20TPI, so I'm assuming 1/4 Whit, the other measures 6.7mm across the threads and is 18TPI any idea what that is?

I don't know why the two different threads have been used, one is a stud and one a bolt in the same casting doing the a similar job (one is holding down the cylinder end plates the other the steamchest cover)

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

In message , Steve W writes

1/4" x 20TPI is BSW 5/16" x 18TPI is BSW

If nothing else, it would prevent stud and bolt being interchanged.

Reply to
Mike H

1) 1/4 BSW or 1/4 UNC Measure thread angle to find out. 2) 16-18 ASME
Reply to
Dave Baker

Except 5/16" is nowhere near 6.7mm.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Thanks for the link to the miniature threads page. The story on parsing sharp edged irregular holes is a new one to me:

Bill H Derby

Reply to
Bill H

Absolutely fascinating, thank you. The parser looks potentially useful, maybe one day I'll need to try it.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Assuming you really do mean 6.7mm (not 6.3mm ?) it must be 17/64 x 18 tpi ? Which would make it easily the oddest thread I've ever heard of. I've got a couple of 1/4 x 18 tpi threads to cut for some replacement parts for a telescope mount - the originals use that thread in preference to 1/4 x 20 tpi for no reason I can fathom.

Reply to
Boo

Have a look at 5/16"

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

First one is 1/4 whit. Second one is 17/64" x 18 OK so it's special but you asked what it was. No metric is close either in diameter or pitch.

17/64 was a 'standard' at one time in the cycle threads.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

16-18 ASME would be 6.807 mm dia and 18 tpi

Which is almost as helpful for single pointing it on a lathe!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Bear in mind these are pre-WW1 and probably handcut. They are corroded making good measurement difficult, esp thread angles

Reply to
Steve W

Thanks John, you are probably on the money as the workshop the engine was made in did manufacture bicycles from scratch at the time the engine was built.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W