Posting Problems

Hi all, I've tried to post three times today but each time when I press "preview" the post disappears and I get the "your post will appear shortly" screen - but it doesn't. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Apologies in advance if some half finished replies turn up I will try to delete them if that happens. Of course this plea might just face the same fate.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

In message , jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Lots of your problems probably arise simply because you are reading and writing news by means of a web browser rather than a mail client. Don't expect newsgroups to act like online discussion groups or chat rooms. They predate the web and conventions for using them arose in the days when online time was much more expensive than nowadays and data transfer rates were much slower. Therefore most people spent as little time on line as possible and downloaded the news items at the same time that they collected email and read them off-line (just as most people still do with mail).

All mail clients, including the widely despised Micro$oft Outlook, can be expected to have a news client (news collection & posting) facility. You might find either

or

of interest.

While more than you will probably want to know about the UK newsgroups can be found at

Reply to
Mike H

Mike

Thanks for the pointer I will read up on how these things work. All the post turned up eventually so at the moment I'm pointing my finger at BT. Still if I can gain a better understanding then I can see which way I should be doing things (some hope!).

Hope the Cheltenham area is looking after you OK, used to live in Winstone until I got deported to South Wales with my job. Thanks again for the help.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk