Power output (Loco)

Hi I am building a 5 gauge steam loco Just wondering how can you work the power output in BHP??? that the engine will deliver.

Reply to
EF

Someone should be able to post a formula for the tractive effort supplied by a steam engine, for a given piston diameter, boiler pressure, and wheel diameter. Then you've got to decide what speed you can maintain that effort up to.

But that assumes you don't get wheel slip. I believe there's a rule of thumb that maximum traction is 25% of the weight on the driven wheels.

Or read this article relating output to the capacity of the boiler to burn fuel:

Once you've got your engine, you can do practical measurements. You could measure the drawbar pull with a spring balance in the coupling and time yourself over a measured distance? If necessary, apply brakes to the train to maintain a steady load. (Use a backup chain for safety)

Looking at the performance of battery locos with 1HP motors, you may be surprised how little power is required.

Wilfrid Underwood

Reply to
Wilfrid Underwood

Try this: