Pulley problems

The 4 step motor pulley on my Viceroy needs attention.

All pictures at

The original setup with the 0.5hp single phase motor is shown in dsc0059.jpg

What I would like to achieve with the new 1.0hp 3 phase motor is shown in dsc0062.jpg

Other pics 63 and 64

However the pulley is currently bored 20.3mm and the motor shaft is

19mm

Do I bore and loctite a sleeve in? Or do i build up the bore with liquid metal and bore to 19mm? If I do this does it make sense to open up the bore a bit first using a high feedrate to give a "key" to the liquid metal. Grub screws to bear on the key look ok to be fitted in 2 of the belt grooves. Rule measurements indicate that 38mm of the 40mm long shaft would be engaged with the pulley.

I look forward to your comments. No extreme urgency as I have plenty else to do!

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Bore the pulley 22, 24 or 25 mm to suit what material you have and then bore this sleeve to 19 Ø. Ignore the key and get the grub screw to finish up in the keyway.

.Don't use liquid metal, you might as well piss on it.

Reply to
John Stevenson

I'd agree with this approach - I did near enough the same on a band saw and it's woking fine.

I actually used some conveniently sized steel tube as the sleeve and once everything was machined, but before fitting the sleeve, I slit it to allow the key into the original groove and then Loctited it into the pulley. I left the shaft in the pulley/sleeve while teh Loctite set so that the sleeve couldn't collapse. This was actually a repair to a buggered pulley rather than a change of nominal size, but the difference is acedemic.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Bore the pulley out and put in a steel insert with a small flange on one end to locate it, you can locktite if you wish, then get the pulley running true in the 4 jaw and bore for the shaft, finallly drill the bush tapping size fore the grub screws and tap,

Reply to
petercolman45