Reamers

Granted that backlash in the crosslide screw is irritating, but why is it so much of a problem?

Reply to
Richard Edwards

On or around Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:47:39 +0000, Richard Edwards enlightened us thusly:

There's rather a lot of it on this machine. From my observation, you push the tool towards the workpiece, and it has the ability to move further than you want it to, in this case by something around 14 thou. Makes for a lack of accuracy, apart from anything else. Up to a point, you can get around it by adjusting it so it's stiff, but that makes it hard work, and if doing power feed, puts more strain on the feed mechanism. I'd prefer a solution that removes the play.

Reply to
Austin Shackles