Rexon RDM250F drill press ????

I've recently acquired a Rexon RDM250F drill press in need of a little tlc but I'm puzzled by the belt change arrangement. It's the usual stepped pulley arrangment, one on the spindle and one on the motor, with an intermediate stepped pulley mounted on a swivelling crank. The motor slides backwards to tension the belts. As received, the crank faces towards the spindle pulley thus the belt from the spindle to the intermediate is at it's absolute slackest however is far too tight to allow it to be shifted onto another speed. I assume that the crank should be at some angle, perhaps 90 degrees to it's current position so as the motor shifts forwards so does the crank slackening both belts. Both belts seem to be original Taiwanese 'first rope' ones, I suspect that perhaps they have been inadvertantly interchanged, but without actually cutting the front belt there is no way I can get it off even with much levering and risking damage to the pulley.

Anyone come across this arrangement and can confirm my suspicions or maybe even have a manual for this drill?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Certainly my Axminster Tools oriental drill press has one belt an inch longer than the other and neither of them exactly the right length, so it's possible that they've got swapped.

The simplest way out of the strange situation may be to cut the front belt and invest in a longer one. I've no idea how idler pulley is held on, but investigating it probably isn't worth the price of a belt!

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Can you loosen and remove the pulleys with the belt still attached? They may be attached by an Allen screw through the pulley or a nut on the top (my Clarke drill press has one pulley with an Allen screw the other with a nut).

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

OK I butchered the front belt and lo and behold the front was a B30 and the rear a B33. Reversing them so the front is now a B33 the geometry of the idler crank (which just pulls out!) now works. New belts on order!

Just now need to sort the stripped threads in the pull down handle and we're ok to go!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I found a similar situation with an Axminster machine.

Reply to
82045