Shed roofing

How long does one expect roofing felt to last?
The reason I ask is that there appears to have been seepage through the roof, staining the walls and yet the felt is only about 5 years
old. Visual inspection reveals no defect, so unless there are pin-prick holes which might have been problematical when snow was lying on the roof, I am stumped.
Magnum gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :

Overhere 15 years. That is why I did my roof with EPDM-rubber. This should last for at least 40 years and can easily done by yourself. Dirk, NL

Thanks, I remember now a couple of years ago someone recommended pond liner

Powder snow might have been blown in through cracks round the edge oif the roof, then melted. I've seen the loft of a house covered with powder snow blown through the eaves when the actual roof was OK.
Like Dirk, I'm just about to re-cover my garage/workshiop roof with EPDM. I'm getting fed up with renewing felt every ten or so years. :-)
Jim.
Jim Guthrie beweerde :

Yes Jim, this is really good stuff. Much more expensive than ordinaire tar-like coverings, but easily to do yourself and cheap on the long run. I am very pleased with it, guessing not to be present at expiration date ;-)
<Jim Guthrie> wrote in message

Actually, that's quite on the cards because the only evidence is just above the eaves.
(I don't want the hassle of taking down the ceiling which is 2" thick polystyrene capped by hardboard clout-nailed into place.)

5 years

Very much depends on the pitch. Felt is a nasty roofing material at the best of times and the nearer to horizontal that it is laid the shorter the life.
AWEM

Felt is awful; my dad did his garage(shallow pitched roof, 10' span rising 18") with wriggly tin, which cost about twice what felt would have but was quicker, no manky black adhesive and has lasted 11 years and looks like lasting at least another 11. Plastic coated corrugated steel is the answer. Before that it was done in felt twice and 5 years was the best it lasted without leaking. It does look a bit industrial though, so may upset nosey neighbours.

Which is why I am resisting doing it with a bright blue tarpaulin available from B&Q for a tenner!
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:59:36 -0700, penfold wrote:

The felt roof over my garage and porch lasted 18 years but after some hassle with a roofing contractor I looked into glass fibre and replaced the roofing with that. Guaranteed for 25 years but has now only got 11 years left on the guarantee.
--
neil
Reverse ‘r’ + ‘a’ and remove ‘l’.

I am actually in the process of considering man made slates, fibre cement I believe, made by Marley, amongst others. Around 200 slates estimated for my shed, thats 4m long , and at around 80p a tile, sounds reasonable. Having said all this, further research as to this covering material is still being carried out bob

Could the roof bearers of a wooden shed (2" by 1") bear the weight of tiles?

Just be careful of the weight. Slates are a lot heavier than felt.
John

Isn't there also a minimum slope to make them effective?
Henry

My workshop roof has 4" x 2" rafters, about a foot apart, as are the walls, so plenty strong enough, the angle is just inside the required slope for the tiles in question. What is EPDM ? Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber
Plastic coated steel profile sheets look good and weather very well.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk
Emimec schreef op 25-3-2010 :

Rubber roofing membrane, eg.:
http://www.aquaplan.com/Foto_film.jpg
Ignore tekst and speech, fast forward to application. Dirk

I think I'll avoid the EPDM for the garden shed/workshop. My main workshop up the road has the industrial plastic coated steel square style corrugated stuff. Very good, but not really for garden use. Bob

fibre
estimated
reasonable.
is still

felt.
the
required
workshop
corrugated
The darker shades of green don't look too intrusive in box profile. I did the foundry and welding workshop roofs in it at the last place and they didn't shout at you. Southern Sheeting often have cosmetic seconds of plastic coated galvanised sheeting in a variety of profiles. I've just completed a field shelter with a 12 foot x 16 foot roof of box profile, and that was 165 including all fixings, delivery and VAT.
AWEM
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 07:25:55 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

If people are looking at it for use on sheds, I'd suggest the varieties that have PU foam already blown onto the underside. It costs more, but the extra heat+sound insulation and lack of condensation are worth it.
Mark Rand RTFM