Shed roofing

How long does one expect roofing felt to last?
The reason I ask is that there appears to have been seepage
through the roof, staining the walls and yet the felt is only about 5 years
old. Visual inspection reveals no defect, so unless there are
pin-prick holes which might have been problematical when
snow was lying on the roof, I am stumped.
Reply to
Magnum
Magnum gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
Overhere 15 years. That is why I did my roof with EPDM-rubber. This should last for at least 40 years and can easily done by yourself. Dirk, NL
Reply to
Dirk
Powder snow might have been blown in through cracks round the edge oif the roof, then melted. I've seen the loft of a house covered with powder snow blown through the eaves when the actual roof was OK.
Like Dirk, I'm just about to re-cover my garage/workshiop roof with EPDM. I'm getting fed up with renewing felt every ten or so years. :-)
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
Very much depends on the pitch. Felt is a nasty roofing material at the best of times and the nearer to horizontal that it is laid the shorter the life.
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Felt is awful; my dad did his garage(shallow pitched roof, 10' span rising 18") with wriggly tin, which cost about twice what felt would have but was quicker, no manky black adhesive and has lasted 11 years and looks like lasting at least another 11. Plastic coated corrugated steel is the answer. Before that it was done in felt twice and 5 years was the best it lasted without leaking. It does look a bit industrial though, so may upset nosey neighbours.
Reply to
penfold
I am actually in the process of considering man made slates, fibre cement I believe, made by Marley, amongst others. Around 200 slates estimated for my shed, thats 4m long , and at around 80p a tile, sounds reasonable. Having said all this, further research as to this covering material is still being carried out bob
Reply to
Emimec
Just be careful of the weight. Slates are a lot heavier than felt.
John
Reply to
John
Jim Guthrie beweerde :
Yes Jim, this is really good stuff. Much more expensive than ordinaire tar-like coverings, but easily to do yourself and cheap on the long run. I am very pleased with it, guessing not to be present at expiration date ;-)
Reply to
Dirk
Isn't there also a minimum slope to make them effective?
Henry
Reply to
Dragon
My workshop roof has 4" x 2" rafters, about a foot apart, as are the walls, so plenty strong enough, the angle is just inside the required slope for the tiles in question. What is EPDM ? Bob
Reply to
Emimec
Plastic coated steel profile sheets look good and weather very well.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk
Peter A Forbes
Emimec schreef op 25-3-2010 :
Rubber roofing membrane, eg.:
tekst and speech, fast forward to application. Dirk
Reply to
Dirk
Thanks, I remember now a couple of years ago someone recommended pond liner
Reply to
Magnum
Actually, that's quite on the cards because the only evidence is just above the eaves.
(I don't want the hassle of taking down the ceiling which is 2" thick polystyrene capped by hardboard clout-nailed into place.)
Reply to
Magnum
Which is why I am resisting doing it with a bright blue tarpaulin available from B&Q for a tenner!
Reply to
Magnum
Could the roof bearers of a wooden shed (2" by 1") bear the weight of tiles?
Reply to
Magnum
The felt roof over my garage and porch lasted 18 years but after some hassle with a roofing contractor I looked into glass fibre and replaced the roofing with that. Guaranteed for 25 years but has now only got 11 years left on the guarantee.
Reply to
Neil Ellwood
One thing that happens on shed roofs comprising tongue and groove is movement between the planks causing the felt to split. If you re-felt it's really worth the effort of sticking some thin plywood sheet up there first.
Julian.
Reply to
Julian
I think I'll avoid the EPDM for the garden shed/workshop. My main workshop up the road has the industrial plastic coated steel square style corrugated stuff. Very good, but not really for garden use. Bob
Reply to
Emimec
reasonable.
required
The darker shades of green don't look too intrusive in box profile. I did the foundry and welding workshop roofs in it at the last place and they didn't shout at you. Southern Sheeting often have cosmetic seconds of plastic coated galvanised sheeting in a variety of profiles. I've just completed a field shelter with a 12 foot x 16 foot roof of box profile, and that was £165 including all fixings, delivery and VAT.
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson