Shopping stuff

I recently did some shopping at

- ordered a lot of mixed small parts on Sunday, got an email Monday telling me that it had been packed, arrived today, Tuesday, with every part and exactly as ordered. Just a quick recommendation.

If anyone is looking for a CNC X3 mill, this one is (now) 1/3 of the arceurotrade price (but you'll have to pay duty and VAT, and service might be a problem):

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Interesting - how does this compare with the ArcEuro/JS offering?

Reply to
NoSpam

I think that you will find that their's comes with drive electronics which this one does not!

Reply to
Richard Edwards

"YES" !!

Reply to
Ketan Swali

Ouch!

Talking of things Sieg of which I don't know much, has anyone seen/used a C4 lathe? Any good?

Ketan, any plans to sell them?

-- Peter

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

It had problems in the early days with the motor/board combination. To the best of my knowledge, these have been fixed. Axminster and Chester sell them. Regardless of what is said, it is a metric machine with metric leadscrew. No tumbler reverse. The gear which turns it into an imperial is open to question. The physical weight is good, overall. After considering John Stevensons comments on this machine, ARC has thus far decided it is better for Axminster and Chester to continue selling them.

Reply to
Ketan Swali

Over to you then John...

Reply to
Peter Harrison

Wot ?????????????

Reply to
John S

Any thoughts on the C4 that you might care to share.

Reply to
Peter Harrison

No. I though Ketan had explained it OK and even pointed out who was selling them in the Uk.

Reply to
John S

Oooooh. Abrupt!

But we wanted to know more about what *you* thought about the C4. Or is that just as Ketan said, or can't you say?

For someone who wants a table-top lathe it seems to be the biggest and perhaps best equipped available at non-Myford prices.

The problems with the imperial conversion wouldn't affect those like me who work in metric anyway, and the lack of a tumbler reverse - well that's curious as the C3 has one, but I've never actually used it to cut a left-hand thread, and if the carriage and cross-slide drives reverse it won't often be a problem.

Of course if they don't reverse that would be a real problem - do they? Over to anyone who has seen and used one ...

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

To reverse the carriage and cross slide screws you need a tumbler reverse. That's what they do and this machine doesn't have one. Ketan did say as much.

John S.

Reply to
John S

To reverse the screws, perhaps, but to reverse the motion no - there could well be gears in the carriage to do that.

Are you saying that you can only face cut under power feed in one direction?

That would be *highly* objectionable, and if I bought such a lathe I'd send it back immediately, as not having proper cross slide drive!

Though I have long had doubts about cross slide drives which run on the leadscrew rather than a seperate shaft.

-- Peter Fairbrother

That's what they do and this machine doesn't have one.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Here is a post I found in the Chester forums:

Not as convenient as a lever operated tumbler reverse but it will do LH threading. Correct me if I am wrong but many of the lathes in this class don't have a tumbler reverse lever but can be persuaded to do LH threading by arranging the changewheels.

However, the power crossfeed seems a little more hinkey. According to the review here:

The power transfer lever allows the leadscrew to either drive the cross slide along the ways or across them. When set to power the cross feed, the direction of movement of the slide depends upon the direction of rotation of the spindle. Thus I guess you would have to put the spindle in reverse to move the cross slide out.

It seems no lathe has the exact features you want and they are all compromises. It is perhaps no wonder that, in this size range, the Myfords are still so popular. They are very versatile. Except, of course, for this money you have to take a chance on the condition of a used Myford. That is your compromise.

Peer Harrison

Reply to
Peter Harrison

That's fine, as I for one seldom if ever want to cut LH threads and don't mind a bit of razamagoo when/if I do.

Ouch! Could anyone be so stupid as to design a lathe like that? You can't even turn in both directions?

If this is so then the C4 is well off my list!

Maybe a Boxford? Not table-top, but ...

-- Peter

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

A recent edition of one of the Village Press (USA) magazines had an article on adding a tumbler reverse to an imported lathe. Seemed a very good job and not terribly difficult.

Don Young (USA)

Reply to
Don Young

If you spend time to read the mini lathe article you will see that it has purposely been designed that way so with the spindle disconnected and using reverse it has power feed in both directions for the milling attachment.

I have never understood the fascination for power cross feed on a lathe that only has 3 inches of movement anyway. When you compare the number of small machines built to the ones with power cross feed it must be a very low percent but it's never stopped anyone from making parts yet.

It seem only of importance to armchair machinists and nit pickers who wouldn't even buy one anyway.

P Riedie.

Reply to
P Riedie

Why is this, Peter ?

Reply to
Boo

Surface finish ?

Reply to
Boo

Unless it has Constant Surface Speed you won't get a true finish as the feed rates change with diameter. However on only 3" if you can't wind steadily enough either take more water with it or learn to do so. It's not hard and only requires practice as you go hand over hand, no jigs and fixtures needed and you get a nice warm feeling afterwards. Either that you you have pissed yourself................

John S.

Reply to
John S