Small ac motor

What sort of sander? Perhaps you couldpost a URL of a typical type you are considering emulating.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I want to make a small sander. the ones in the shops are around £70- 80 here. I have looked at some sites and have seen home made ones. Basically just a small ac motor driving, via a band, a roller (to which the sandpaper is attached). Where would I find the motors for this type of stuff in the uk? Does anyone have a diagram or info how to go about making it? John

Reply to
John Brown

Just go to any of the model shows and there are usually one or more stands that have second hand motors of all sorts ...... probably give you advice as well on which on best suits your needs.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

the little Draper belt sander uses a 350W motor. other sanders seem to use from 250 W to 750 W motors.

Bearings and the motor will need to be sealed against dust, and you probably won't find a new single phase motor for much less than £ 70, then a set of four roller bearings, a drive belt and pair of pulleys will be another £

30....

I think it's going to cost a lot more in parts / materials to make a sander than to buy one,

A second hand motor might make this viable if you have a good " scrap " box of old parts to rob.

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

I guess you've seen these sites ? :-

As to motors; you could look out for a cheap second-hand bench drill, try a scrap dealer, or visit a few car boot sales.

Reply to
Neil Barnes

Reply to
John Brown