Flanged Wheel Sacrilege

Hi All and Happy New Year

on the grounds of "don't ask, won't get", I have the following request:

I am on the lookout for a set of 4 (or 2 pairs of 2) flanged wheels to construct a miners tub for underground work. This is a project involving clearing a collapse in an old lead mine and tramming the spoil out to bank.

As there is nothing ornamental going on here, said wheels can be as rough as bulls lugs, as long as they will rotate freely. The rails are to be made from scaffolding poles, straight for about 100ft, no turns or points. Gauge 18" approx.

If anyone has any scrap wheels which they think may be suitable, I'd be grateful if they'd get in touch. Happy to pay postage and beer money FWIW, or collect if passing through your area.

cheers

festina lente

MARK

Reply to
Mark Pinkney

Mark,

What about using small wheel hubs from a car - like the rear wheels of an old Mini. The brake drums usually have a flange on the inner edge which might be enough to keep things on the rails.

You would also have the advantage of a ready made braking system as well if you use rear wheel hubs with the hand brake facilities.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Why not run car rims & axles straight on the scaffold poles - in fact you could use old Mini rear subframes !

Failing that what about the large sheeve pulleys intended for fat rope ?

Andrew

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It may be worth asking in uk.rec.subterranea.

S .

Reply to
eggcustard2000

Thanks for the suggestions folks - I've managed to scrounge a pair of Sierra discs - the ones with the raised centres. Should work a treat if I can blag another pair. Like the idea of mini wheels without tyres, too!

Thanks - and a Happy New Year

Festina Lente

MARK

Reply to