steel colour coding

Hi All

Does anyone know of a web site that gives the colour codes for steel i:e free cutting Thanks Dic

-- rjelli

----------------------------------------------------------------------- rjellis's Profile:

this thread:

rjellis

I believe that the colour codes used for steel vary from supplier to supplier and there isn't a strict code that they all use. If you knew where the steel came from you could check out that manufacturers web site (or give them a call).

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

the colour codes on steel stock, change depending on suplier from what i remember

Reply to
Tim Bird

IMHO there doesn't seem to be a standard system, certainly never found one on the net; try a library! I've a hunch it depends on which stockist you get steel from. Last time I got free-cutting steel, it had green ends.

HTH Guy

Reply to
Guy Griffin

I hesitate to question that statement :-)) but I think there is a standard which is/was laid down some years ago but has fallen into disuse because the number of available metals has far exceeded the ability of the system to cover all possible combinations.

Macreadys published a wall chart with colours on it, but their booklet which is far more informative gives little information on the colour codes other than those in-house product names like Usaspead 202 which has red/green on the end of the bar for example.

In fact, for information purposes:

Usaspead En1A - Green Usaled En1A - Magenta Usatel - En1A - Gold M.M.C. / Usaflat - Blue Usabend / Usen 16 / Usaloy 16 - White Usamild - Red/Blue Usen 6 - Red/Yellow Usaspead 40 - Yellow Usaspead 40M - Yellow/Green Usacut 45 - Black/Yellow Usaspead 55 - Yellow/Blue Usaweld - Black/Green Usacase - Red Usacase 32M - Red/Brown Usaspead 202 - Red/Green Usacur 55 - White/Magenta Usen 19 - Yellow/White Usen 24 / Usaloy 24 - White/Blue Usen 24T - White/Brown Usen 34 - White/Green/Red Usen 36 - White/Red Nitroy 40B - Black/Red Usen 351 - Black/White Usaloy 351 - Yellow/Green Usaloy 8620 - Blue/Black Mac 416 - Brown/Yellow KE 416Se - Brown KE431Se - Brown/Black Mac303 - Brown/Orange KE 303Se - Brown/Green Mac 316 IQ - Brown/Pink KE 316Se - Brown/Blue Usaspead NSOH - Blue/Silver Usaspead HCHC - Green/Silver

Trade names are Copyright Macreadys Ltd Codes taken from their Steel handbook 7th Edition.

BTW, fancy a bit of machinery moving this weekend?? :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

EN8 was always yellow from my supplier

Reply to
Tim Bird

No idea where you're from but FWIW, this is the UK BS970 Standard, The old name of the steel is after the oblique stroke. 230M07/EN1A F/C Freecuttting steel for fast machining & long tool life Green 230M07Pb/EN1A Pb Leaded freecutting steel for very fast machining & long tool life, superior surface finish. Magenta 212A42/EN8DM A freecutting medium tensile steel for general engineering Orange

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Possibly but I didn't list EN8...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

As others have said, colours vary according to each supplier. This may help:

Charles

Thank you all for the info on the steel codes.Most helpful as is thi

site Regards Dick [UK

-- rjelli

this thread:

rjellis

I use this lot for all my steel needs, I don't know if their codes are the same as all suppliers.

Rich

Reply to
Rich