synchronous motor driven timer - ?

Okay - I'm building a UV exposure box and picked up a timer off ebay that I'm hoping to use. It is an RS components generic time (no. 346-463).

I've never used these before and wanted to make sure how to connect it as well as how it works. It seems that you set the time and when you hit the switch that the timer starts.

Anyone have any references to how to wire this up? There's 11 pins in total and I just want to make sure this is right.

Reply to
James

RS have a data sheet - you can get it from rswww.com. Look under Infozone and search for the part number (I think you have to register first, but giving away your all your personal details is free and almost painless ..).

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Pin 1 Com2 Pin 2 Motor Pin 3 N/O 2 Pin 4 N/C 2 Pin 5 No connection Pin 6 Motor Clutch Coil Pin 7 Motor Clutch Coil Pin 8 N/C 1 Pin 9 N/O 1 Pin 10 Motor Pin 11 Com 1

There is a pdf data sheet on their website but you'll need to register if you want to download it.

Peter

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Ya I have the datasheet but just want to make sure I do this right before blowing it up :)

I wanted to use this as a timer for a 240v supply.

I can see that pin 6 and 7 are for the main switch and pins 1, 3 and 4 are for the delay switch.

Would I then run the live feed through pins 11, 9 and 8?

What are pins 2 and 10 for? or are they the source?

Reply to
James

If you have the data sheet already, you have all the information you need.

Pins 6 and 7 are the motor clutch, where do you get the idea that they are the main switch ???

Pins 2 and 10 are for the motor. It is a synchronous timer and the clutch allows you to start and stop the timer mechanism without stopping the motor.

You sound as though you don't really understand what you are playing with here. I suggest you read through the data sheet again which describes how the timer functions, and if you still don't understand it, get some local professional advice before doing any more assembly/wiring.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

You are right - i do have some questions about this type of timer unit as I've never used this sort of thing before. This _IS_ why I'm asking here for advice.

Or am I wrong in my understanding that these newsgroups are public forms where people share knowledge? hmmm...Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyways - I ordered this as a mechanical timer in hopes of using it as I described. I know its for motor control but I was hoping to use it in a more 'simple' fashion as purely a timer unit.

Is anyone willing to give me a bit of help with this or not?

Reply to
James

The concern is that mains wiring is done to specific codes and standards. I think the responses are meant to be helpful with regards to your personal safety.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes, but the consequence of getting it wrong (because we make a mistake telling you, or you misunderstand the instructions, or the timer is faulty) might not just be 'didn't work, try again' - you might destroy the timer, or expose your eyes to excess UV, or start a fire, or electrocute an innocent bystander.

These aren't very likely if you understand the basic principles and just need some specific help with this device, since you can then be expected to look after yourself. But we don't want to lead you into problems by making something potentially dangerous appear trivial. Otherwise we'll have to use all those tedious back-covering disclaimers that no-one ever reads until it's too late.

This timer isn't directly appropriate for what you want to do, but it appears to be flexible enough that you could make it work. I would suggest that the motor and clutch connections both be connected across the lamp circuit (so that motor, clutch and lamp are all powered during the timer period). Then connect the two switch contact sets as though they were hall/landing light switches - so that when the instantaneous contacts change over the circuit is made, and when the delayed contacts change over the circuit is broken again. On breaking the circuit the clutch will be released and the timer reset, so both switches will change to their rest states and the lamp should be off.

The only problem that leaves is that the system won't start up - so you need a pushbutton that temporarily bypasses the contacts to provide power to lamp, clutch and motor. Pressing this should start the cycle.

Note that I've never used one of these timers and am just working from the data sheet. So this advice is worth what you paid for it ..

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Surely if everyone felt that personally liable for any comment or suggestion then there wouldn't be any advice given? Even something as simple as 'put the blade in the stanely knife'.....and don't acidentally trip, fall, cut your wrist...roll over - cut the mains cable and electricute yourself.....and roll out down the driveway under a bus - would be prohibitive.

I understand the concern but I wasn't really asking about how to work with mains power - I was trying to understand how these switching devices work as the documentation is geared towards a motor control and not the way I wanted to use it. Instead of trying a few different things and experiementing (which is more risky then having a plan) I thought I would ask a question or two.

I have a good feel for it now that I've talked it through some some helpfull soles on an IRC channel and will put a test rig together in the next few days. Thanks everyone though for your help.

I d> > You are right - i do have some questions about this type of timer unit as

Reply to
James

James:

You asked for information on the relay, without advising anyone that you already held the available data sheet.

You got the schematic layout of the relay wrong in your second post, despite being told in my first post what the various pins were for, as well as having the data sheet in front of you..

At that point I had to tell you what I did as I did not feel that you had a handle on what you were doing, and any more information 'may' have been further misinterpreted, and I had no desire to see a press report about someone blowing his home up after advice was received from an Internet newsgroup.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Just wanted to say thanks - I got it all working by switching both the motor and coil - if anyone was interested :)

Reply to
James