Altimeter or Timer?

Okay, time to move into the world of dual deployment.

I want to build a rocket with dual deployment that uses the motor and a back-up charge for a streamer and a second charge for the main. Altimeter or Timer? (yeah, I could use both but too much $$)

Timer: Not affected by pressure changes, venting, weather, acts of god. Timing can be off.

Altimeter: more accurate deploymet timing (at apogee and 500 feet, not

15 and 35 seconds) Cons: (see pros of timer.)

I'm confused.

Any opinions? Hints? Tips? Advice? Rants?

Thanks

Matt

Oh yeah, I'm torn between a Missile works RRC2 and PET2. If you have advice on those too......

Reply to
Matt

I vote for Missleworks and only because of my customer feedback.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

might as well throw Robert Galejs' Magnetic Apogee Detector into the discussion

from Aerocon Systems Co. at

- iz

Matt wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

and an accelerometer ...

AED's Rocket Data-Acquisition System (R-DAS)

from Aerocon Sytems Co. at

- iz

Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

For the extra Fifteen bucks, go for the RRC2. Timing can be difficult to judge, and computer sims are not always accurate. Besides, the PET2 will not tell you what the altitude was.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Matt:

Keep it simple is the rule. There is no way to know exactly when a rocket is going to hit apogee time-wise for use with a timer. If I understand you correctly, you're wanting a motor ejection for back up of the drogue/streamer, which makes the timer obsolete when you're guessing at the time to apogee. With a timer you still have a chance of a zipper if it catches enough air and doesn't eject close to apogee. As for actual recovery, many simply break apart the rocket at apogee with no streamer or drogue. The rocket just falls flat as it catches air. Drogues and streamers aren't necessary all the time and some will argue that it only can cause more problems using them as it can cause the chute to get tangled. Just a matter of preference.

Your best bet is to use a simple altimeter. The PML Co-Pilot was the first one I used, made by Missile Works, and had lots of flights with not a single problem. It's simple enough, three beeps tells you main and drogue are good to go. Plus, the mounting hardware designed to work with their kits takes a lot of the guessing out of the equation. They have really great directions.

Make sure you have 2-3 vents for your altimeter to adequate air, and drill one small hole in each of the other sections for pressure venting.

Electronics don't have to be difficult. You only have to select the altitude of the co-pilot with two switches on the unit and it is really that simple. Load in a couple Daveyfire N28-BR ematches into the ejection canisters, pull through, seal the holes the wires run through with plumbers putty, seat the ejection canisters in the holders, wire in each e-match to the appropriate terminal, power up to check continuity, when that's good to go, turn it off, load up with 1.5 grams BP for a 4" or 1 gram for a 3" rocket, fill extra area with a touch of cellulose, put on the caps, wire the switch wires to the terminal, screw the rocket together with the altimeter in, put it all together and take it out to the pad and rock and roll.

Another thought to keep it even more simple, don't even use a switch to turn it on. I used to use switches, but went to simply twisting wires together after I saw many, many people flying rockets of L impulse and up doing this. No need to worry if the switch will turn off or break a connection on lift off. Worked well for my level 3 too.

Good luck.

- Boomer

Reply to
Boomer

Jim Rutkowski had a great flight Saturday recovered by a MAD and a

timer, I think the MAD put the laundry out but it's nice to have backup!

Also you cant go wrong with the RRC2 and/or RRC2X, great units.

Kevin Patterson

TOOLS R US

backup significantly decreases the chance of deployment failure, and I believe that redundancy is actually a requirement in a TRA Level 3 flight.

from

2.D. Rocket Review - Avionics Description g. Are any of the systems redundant?

I bought the RRC2X due to the external battery connection. It makes securing the battery contacts against G forces a little easier, it is

48% lighter, and allows your avionics bay to be 2.3" shorter (assuming a rocket diameter > 38 mm)

RRC² Altimeter (Classic): Dimensions - 1.3" wide x 5.9" long Weight - 1.76 oz (50 gm) w/o battery / 3.38 oz w/battery (96 gm) typical

RRC²X Altimeter (Extreme 25K): Dimensions - 1.3" wide x 3.61" long Weight - 0.91 oz (26 gm)

see the RRC²X Altimeter at

or
]

BTW: there is an excellent article on static port sizing on Vern's Rocketry website at

- iz

TOOLS R US wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

A RRC2 was my first altimeter and it has never failed. However the organic analog computer responsible for the installation of the RRC2 has failed to execute the proper program a couple times. Ground testing and check lists can help you from becoming the failure point. Gary Deaver

Reply to
Deaver

For altimiters go to

look for the ALTS2. I am surprised that noone even mentiones this one that probably is the most reliable on the market. The extra $30 is well worth it.

THX, John

Reply to
John Ritz

Amen! I've had my ALTS2 for years and it's been through it's share of crashes(the alt worked just fine, operator error) and it just keeps on ticking(beeping). It's tiny too and uses a cheap 12 volt battery. I sim my flights on WRASP and I swear the ALTS2 differs from WRASP with a minimal 3% difference. As a added note I've tried my damnest to set off the firing circuit by bliping the on/off switch; it will not go off! Wish I could say the same for my Olsen FCP/M2 unit :(

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
nedtovak

Matt,

try the Perfect Flite miniAlt/wd for dual deploy. it's a great working altimiter for only $99

they also have mini timers ($25) for your other timer needs, I would have to recomend the altimiter for dual deploy, not a timer. use the timers for air starts, staging etc..

have fun !

Art Upton

ArtU

I've flown quite a few of the altimeters out there( Adept , Missile works , Cambridge , Olsen, R-DAS , ARTS & G-WIZ ) & must say the RRC2 is just as good as the ALTS2 if not better. To date I've flown 30+ altimeter controlled deployments & have had Adept screw up on me twice ( 4 if you count the battery falling out twice& ALTS2 battery died once ) ( ALTS 25 fired while arming 1 ) G-Wiz once ( fired while arming ) & Missile Works Zero times ( knock on the biggest Oak Tree East of the Mississippi ) The majority of my flights were on the ALTS2 10 to 12 flights & the Missile Works 10 to 15 & still counting...

I've dealt with ADEPT on a number of occasions & can't justify spending the extra $30.00 on poor customer service & a phantom warranty.

As for a timer: NOT the Way to Go. My R-DAS fired early because of it ( back up timer built into it ) It's a guess at best .

JD

Reply to
JDcluster

And Adept Rocketry's timers and altimeters.

Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed wrote:

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

Thanks for reinforcing my customer feedback polls with field comparative experience!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I have the RRC2 and love it. I did my "Level E Certification" last summer, with a Stretched PML Ariel and a RRC2 on a I284. It was sure strange to use a plugged closure! I used Robby's Rockets pre wired disposable charge holders. Both charges fired as I planned [Chuteless drogue at apogee and main at 800']. I suggest you ask around your local club for help with dual deployment. I can send you Rocksim file of the modular electronics bay that I use.

-- James Dean Cory, D.C. TRA: 07839 L2 NAR 75296 L2 snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
James Dean Cory, D.C.