Thiel mill help.

Hope someone can help here as most of the UK engineering shops (second hand equipment) are far from helpful.

I have recently purchased a Thiel 158 duplex milling machine. It came with no tooling, except for one collet. The collet is I believe a morse taper No3 and has a threaded shank for the draw-bar. Therefore the end mill for example pushes into the collet and the collet is screwed into the milling head. The draw-bar is then tightened from the top of the milling head to secure the collet and end mill.

I have no experience of milling really except on a lathe, so this is all new to me. Is this a standard setup for a Thiel mill (some have said it's not normal but failed to explain further)? Does anyone have collets for this machine that they would like to sell? If not does anyone know where I can get some collets?

I can't make spare collets myself as I don't have the gearing on my Boxford to cut threads.

Any help or info about any aspect of this mill greatly appreciated. Cheers, David.

Reply to
Husky Dave

number 3 Morse taper is not usually used as a collet system though some mill drills use it.

collets are available from Tooling Direct Tel 0121 327 1952, Price is £ 10.75 inch, or £ 8.50 metric, they need a 3/8 whitworth draw bar, imported machines sometimes use metric draw bars... :-(

Getting them to send you a catalogue is the first step to bankruptcy :-)

hope this helps

Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Husky Dave" Newsgroups: uk.rec.models.engineering Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 10:38 AM Subject: Thiel mill help.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

can you confirm the 3 morse bit? I'm no expert but I thought that the Theil was a copy of the Deckel and the Deckel has a threaded 4 morse.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson