Tom Senior Light Vertical versus E Series

Does the TS light vertical have any advantages over the E series?

Reply to
imagedude

You'd probably get useful response by posting to the Tom Senior Yahoo discussion group too (I see you're already a member) -

I don't have direct experience of either machine but the head is essentially the same on both (S-head) so the question resolves to which body type has most advantage. A knee type body is generally preferred for rigidity and for retaining precision in head alignment vertically. Neither machine has power x-feed, although I think there's a design somewhere for adding it to the E-type. On the other hand, I would have thought that whatever you could add to the E-type you could add to the Light Vertical.

If you're determined to have a TS machine then, for lighter work, the E-type with epicyclic gearing in the head would be a nice choice. For heavier work I'd go for the extra rigidity of Light Vertical.

-Neil F.

Reply to
neil f