Toolmaker Having A Clearout

One of my toolmakers is having a clearout, and I said I'd help get rid of some stuff by giving you lot first refusal on it before it goes elsewhere.

First off - a Shadowgraph/Profile Projector. Bench-top size, with micrometer dials I think. Can't remember the make of it, but can take some pictures when I go there next week if anyone is interested. Open to offers for it.

Second - an Eagle no 3 surface grinder. This is an 18" x 6" model. There is no mag chuck with it, but I have 2 eclipse mag chucks for sale if you need one. Again, they are open to offers on this.

Third - some nice big chunks of tooling plate. These came from another toolmakers but without material certs, so are slight mystery metals. However, he was told it was a 'stainless' grade of P20 pre-toughened steel, although I've not heard of this grade before, but it is certainly an alloy steel of some type, but may not be heat treatable without knowing what it is. There are about (I think) 7 or 8 plates of this, measuring approx.

400-450mm square, and around 35 mm& 40mm & 50mm thick. He'll be happy with a tenner a plate.

The stuff is collect only from Clacton, but as usual with the NG there may be some form of relay available. I can certainly pick some of the stuff up and get it over to Hadleigh/Ipswich/Sudbury/Colchester areas.

If anyone is interested then e-mail me and I'll pass the offers on, but probably not until after the Easter break .

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

In article , Peter Neill writes

Peter,

Could use a couple of pieces of the tooling plate - I assume it *is* possible to drill it ..... Thickness not critical, the 35mm will do, or thicker if someone else has a particular need for the "thinner" stuff. (I'd love a surface grinder too, but I have absolutely nowhere to put it.)

I drive down the A1 most months (Yorkshire to SE London, via M11/M25) and could make a detour.

BTW, I drive London (Bromley)/Lancashire (near Blackpool)/W Yorkshire (Wakefield)/Bromley most months, so if I can help anyone, let me know. It's a rather nice saloon car, not a transit van, so no 1/2 ton oil-dripping machinery though.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

M11/M25)

Yorkshire

Now THAT sounds a VERY useful regular trip, speaking as one currently living in Bromley and most interesting 'things' being up north !!!

Anytime you need a cuppa call in !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

Andrew, if you want to e-mail me off list, I am david and live at dlittlewood period co period uk. I'm at the West Wickham end - where are you?

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

currently

You have mail !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Mawson

No you don't it bounced - I must be missinterpretting that email address ! please clarify

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I could use a couple of pieces of 50mm tooling plate, though Im not sure how Id collect it. Im just of J23 M1.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

In article , Andrew Mawson writes

david at dlittlewood period co period uk

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

David

Could I ask if I could request a transport lift via you, for a milling head currently up in the North. The milling head is resident in Preston, would that be far off your normal driving route up to Blackpool?

I am based in Oxfordshire, so would need to meet you somewhere down South, possibly South Mimms to collect, as I would guess you would go to Bromley (Kent) via the Dartford Bridge.

If this is possible, please e mail me back with your next travelling date across the country and I can then contact the current owner to make some arrangements.

Cheers

David Ingram

Reply to
Steam Train Dave

Hi David

As a new member and novice, I hope this first attempt to communicat will be ok. I have recently won an award for building a wood case design for computer and now I am about to try something completely outrageous, b building a see through case which holds chunky metal plates on whic to mount hardware.

I really would appreciate obtaining two of the 35 mm plates they woul be perfect for the task. I live in Haywards Heath Sussex, but would try my hardest to find a wa to get them here.

Please let me know if this is possible.

By the way I am Guild of Railway Artist - railwayarts.com. Jus thought I would add that due to your username? I am pretty sure tha a Guild friend, who I believe lives in Hadleigh would take care of th plates for now. You might know him - Malcolm Root.

Regards

Joh

-- railar

----------------------------------------------------------------------- railart's Profile:

this thread:

railart

In article , railart writes

[snip]

[snip]

John, I think you are replying to the wrong chap; it was Peter who posted the offer, I was responding. Just one of those things that will get clearer to you as you get familiar with newsgroups - it can get confusing if the attributions get mixed up!

Also a bit confused by your reference to my username and why I should know anyone in the Guild of Railway Artists. Is there someone of similar name involved in it?

BTW Peter - any update on the position on the pieces of plate? Just need to know whether I have to look for something else.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Hi David

I think you should be OK for it, although it may be a single piece rather than two - had quite a few emails as well, so now I just need to get over there to check whether it was 6 or 7 plates he had available. Should know for sure in a day or so.

John, I'm pretty sure it has all been spoken for now, but if there is any spare once I've been over there I'll post on here.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Picked up the first few slabs of this today, and got a bit more information about it.

Thickness' are 40mm & 46mm not 35 & 50 as previously mentioned, and overall size is 356 x 356.

The material is Thyroplast 2085 from ThyssenKrupp Steel, hardness is ca 30 Rockwell C, and the composition is practically a stainless -

0.33%C; 16% Chromium: 0.5% Nickel, and with 0.05% sulphur for easier machining.

Will pick up the rest on Friday and then e-mail out to those who wanted it to arrange some form of transport/collection.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill