V-Block clamps

Hi,

I wound up the clamp on my v-block the other day and it snapped revealing it was made of the cheapest most shitest die-cast material I've ever seen. Does anyone know where I can buy replacements made of something stronger ? I do remember as an apprentice making a pair of v-block clamps as an excercise in using the 4-jaw chuck in the lathe but it was a PITA, and I'd rather just buy them.

Thanks,

Boo

Reply to
Boo

I have some clamps spare with the round ends. What type are yours?

Reply to
Pete

Ring The Tool Box, Colyton, Devon 01297 552868 No connection

John

Reply to
John

Imnsho, the only answer is to look out for some s/h old style quality tools from reputable english makers. Ebay might be a good place to start, or steam fairs, which often have tool seller stalls.

Otherwise, forge from good quality tool steel, then machine to size and heat treat after.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Brown and Sharpe, Starrett are also of equally fine quality, and not English.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear