What is it called ?

Good Morning Folks, I'm trying to find some 'spacer thingies' but I don't know what they are called.. Its a circular spacer, about 5mm high and 4mm diameter, with a threaded 2.5mm hole through the centre and a rivet type bit at the base. I've seen them used to support PCB's above a mounting plate. The PCB is retained by a screw to the spacer and the spacer is riveted to the mounting plate. I'm looking for a small quantity, about 100. Any ideas of what its called and where I can source some in UK ?. Many thanks, Mike W

Reply to
Mike W

Something like these:

or something here:

The rivet type seem difficult to find these days. I do have a load of various lengths if you want to turn then to length ... .

Reply to
Tim Christian

I'm not sure there is a universal term, I've seen them called PCB spacers, spacers, stand-offs and mounting posts. Electronics suppliers should have a selection:

Look under Hardware > Fixings & PCB Mounts

Look under Mechanical > Fasteners > Spacers

On my recent travels through electronics suppliers catalogues I've not seen any with a rivet as such on the 'bottom' though, they tend to be either plastic clips or a thread.

A little tale about Farnell: Last order I got from them was a goodly selection of (mostly electronic) bits, including two 1m lengths of threaded rod. The threaded rod was sent in a separate box, over a metre long and 20cm square. £2 worth of stainless in 50p worth of box with what must have been more than £1.50 worth of shipping (to them, it was free to me). There was plenty of space in the box for the other items, but they came in a further two boxes. I think someone in their packaging department must really hate trees :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

PEM

extended hank bushes and that sort of support item in metal.

Heyco (Poole, Dorset) and Richco (Dartford, Kent) do plastic PCB standoffs.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I think they are called Hank Bushes.

Reply to
Theo

fwiw I know them as "stand offs

-- olmo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- olmod's Profile:

this thread:

olmod

Thankyou Everyone, unfortunatly the search continues. I'll try to get a photograph of the few 'thingies' that I have left in the hope that a picture will describe it better. On the topic of postage of small items, I received a box of 2 IC's who's total weight must have been about 3 grammes and easily hidden under a single postage stamp, which was sent from the US in a box of about 3 feet long by 6 inches by 3 inches. The packing material must have weighed more than double the products weight. Thankyou Analog Devices.. atb, Mike

Reply to
Mike W

Mike

I would love to know more about this wonderful packaging material you received.

Problem with tiny packages is they don't have enough room for addresses, packing slips, stamps etc, so the sender has to bulk it up a bit. In your case they really went over the top!

Two ICs that would fit under a stamp must only weigh a few grams, so the packaging they used must be really high tech Aerogel or something.

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips